Structure of closures in relational schemas with join and functional dependencies
- 23 Downloads
Translations of relational schemas are extended to the set of functional and join dependencies. A basic theorem on the representation of the closure of an attribute subset is proved.
KeywordsOperating System Artificial Intelligence System Theory Functional Dependency Relational Schema
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. F. Codd, “A relational model of data for large shared data banks,” Commun. ACM,13, No. 6, 377–387 (1970).Google Scholar
- 2.E. F. Codd, “Further normalization of the database relational model,” in: Data Base Systems, R. Rustin (ed.), Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (1972), pp. 33–64.Google Scholar
- 3.W. W. Armstrong, “Dependency structures of data base relationships,” IFIP-74 Congress, Geneva (1974), pp. 580–583.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Delobel and R. G. Casey, “Decomposition of a data base and the theory of Boolean switching functions,” IBM J. Res. Develop.,17, No. 5, 374–386 (1973).Google Scholar
- 5.R. Fagin, “Multivalued dependencies and a new normal form for relational databases,” ACM TODS,2, No. 3, 262–278 (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.C. Beeri, R. Fagin, and J. H. Howard, “A complete axiomatization for functional and multivalued dependencies,” Database Relations: ACM SIGMOD Conf., Amsterdam (1977), pp. 47–61.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Rissanen, “Independent components of relations,” ACM TODS,2, No. 4, 317–325 (1977).Google Scholar
- 8.A. V. Aho, C. Beeri, and J. D. Ullman, “The theory of joins in relational databases,” ACM TODS,4, No. 3, 297–314 (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.E. Sciore, “A complete axiomatization for full join dependencies,” J. ACM,29, No. 2, 373–393 (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.C. Beeri, “On the membership problem for functional and multivalued dependencies in relational databases,” ACM TODS,5, No. 3, 241–259 (1980).Google Scholar
- 11.C. Beeri and P. A. Bernstein, “computational problems related to the design of normal form relational schemas,” ACM TODS,4, No. 1, 30–59 (1979).Google Scholar
- 12.J. Demetrovics, Ho Thuan, Nguyen Xuan Huy, and Le Van Bao, “Translation of relation schemas, balanced relation schemas and the problem of key representation,” J. Inform. Proc. Cybern.,EIK-23, No. 2/3, 81–97 (1987).Google Scholar
- 13.D. Maier, A. O. Mendelson, and Y. Sagiv, “Testing implications of data dependencies,” ACM TODS,4, No. 4, 455–469 (1979).Google Scholar
- 14.D. Maier, The Theory of Relational Databases, Comput. Sci. Press, Rockville, MD (1983).Google Scholar
- 15.D. Maier, Y. Sagiv, and M. Yannakakis, “On the complexity of testing implications of functional and join dependencies,” J. ACM,28, No. 4, 680–695 (1981).Google Scholar
- 16.D. Maier, “Minimum covers in the relational database model,” J. ACM,27, No. 4, 664–674 (1980).Google Scholar
- 17.J. Demetrovics, Ho Thuan, Nguyen Xuan Huy, and Le Van Bao, “Balanced relation scheme and the problem of key representation,” MTA SZTAKI, Közlemények, No. 32, 51–80 (1985).Google Scholar
© Plenum Publishing Corporation 1991