The aging effect on male mating activity inDrosophila melanogaster
- 74 Downloads
Noncompetitive mating activity for young (3-day) and old (28-day) Drosophila melanogaster males was measured under chromosomally homozygous and heterozygous conditions. Old males were consistently less active than young ones under both conditions. Three of 29 homozygous lines exhibited sterility due to aging. Virility at the old age did not correlate with that at the young age. Differences among homozygous lines were highly significant for old and young males, indicating a genetic basis for the trait. Individual variation in “old” virility was shown to be much higher than that in young males.
Key Wordsmating activity aging selection Drosophila melanogaster
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, W. W. (1969). Selection in experimental populations. I. Lethal genes.Genetics 62:653–672.Google Scholar
- Clarke, J. M., and Maynard-Smith, J. (1955). The genetics and cytology ofDrosophila subobscura. XI. Hybrid vigor and longevity.J. Genet. 53:172–192.Google Scholar
- Duncan, F. N. (1930). Some observations on the biology of the maleDrosophila melanogaster.Am. Nat. 64:545–551.Google Scholar
- Kosuda, K. (1983). Genetic variability in mating activity ofDrosophila melanogaster males.Experientia 39:100–101.Google Scholar
- Mossige, J. C. (1955). Sperm utilization and brood patterns inDrosophila melanogaster.Am. Nat. 89:123–127.Google Scholar
- Pearl, R., Parker, S. L., and Gonzalez, B. M. (1923). Experimental studies on the duration of life in crosses of wild type and quintuple stocks ofDrosophila melanogaster.Am. Nat. 57:153–192.Google Scholar
- Prout, T. (1971a). The relation between fitness components and population prediction inDrosophila. I. The estimation of fitness components.Genetics 68:127–149.Google Scholar
- Prout, T. (1971b). The relation between fitness components and population prediction inDrosophila. II. Population prediction.Genetics 68:151–167.Google Scholar
- Sharp, P. M. (1982). Competitive mating inDrosophila melanogaster.Genet. Res. 40:201–205.Google Scholar
- Smith, J. R. (1978). The genetics of aging in lower organisms. In Schneider, E. L. (ed.),The Genetics of Aging, Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Sved, J. A., and Ayala, F. J. (1970). A population cage test for heterosis inDrosophila melanogaster.Genetics 66:87–113.Google Scholar