The influence of newspaper reports on outbreaks of mass hysteria
- 134 Downloads
A previous study suggested that newspaper reports contributed to the generation and propagation of a recent epidemic of “mysterious gas poisoning” among Arab schoolgirls. To further explore the role of the press in mass hysteria, the authors reviewed newspaper reports related to two separate outbreaks of hysteria among schoolchildren. Despite extensive coverage of both epidemics, only one questionably related new outbreak and no relapses of illness in the original settings occurred following these reports. The variable influence the media may have on mass hysteria and the multitude of other factors that can affect such outbreaks are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hefez A: The role of the press and the medical community in the epidemic of “mysterious gas poisoning” in the Jordan West Bank.Am J Psychiatry 142:833–837, 1985.Google Scholar
- 2.Small GW: Mass media and mass hysteria.Am J Psychiatry 143:395–396, 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.Small GW, Nicholi AM: Mass hysteria among schoolchildren: Early loss as a predisposing factor.Arch Gen Psychiatry 39:721–724, 1982.Google Scholar
- 4.Small GW, Borus JF: Outbreak of illness in a school chorus: Toxic poisoning or mass hysteria?N Engl J Med 308:632–635, 1983.Google Scholar
- 5.Boll TJ, Haley WE, Levine EG, Cosper MR: Medical effects ofThe Day After.N Engl J Med 310:1196, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.Knight JA, Friedman TI, Sulianti J: Epidemic hysteria: A field study.Am J Public Health 55:858–865, 1965.Google Scholar
- 7.Kerckhoff AC, Back KW:The June Bug: A study of hysterical contagion. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1968.Google Scholar
- 8.Sirois F: Epidemic hysteria.Acta Psychiatr Scand 252:1–46, 1974.Google Scholar
- 9.Colligan MJ, Pennebaker JW, Murphy LR (Eds):Mass Psychogenic Illness. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1982.Google Scholar
- 10.Borus JF: Incidence of maladjustment in Vietnam returnees.Arch Gen Psychiatry 30:554–557, 1974.Google Scholar