This report reviews the literature on the subject of sexual activity between psychiatric inpatients. The author discusses the psychological reasons why patients engage in sexual activity as well as the possible psychological effects. In addition, the author discusses medical considerations including concerns about injury, pregnancy, and venereal disease and legal implications including issues related to wrongful life, wrongful birth and deteriorating mental condition resulting from sexual activity. The report also discusses ethical issues, staff attitudes and various options for management of sexual activity between patients.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Modestin J: Patterns of overt sexual interaction among acute psychiatric inpatients.Acta Psychiat Scand 64:446–459, 1981Google Scholar
- 2.Akhtar S, Crocker E, Dickey N,et al.: Overt sexual behavior among psychiatric inpatients.Diseases of the Nervous System 38:359–361, 1977Google Scholar
- 3.Keitner D, Grof P: Sexual and emotional intimacy between psychiatric inpatients: formulating a policy.Hosp and Comm Psychiatry 32:188–193, 1981Google Scholar
- 4.Hartocollis P: Hospital romances: some vicissitudes of transference.Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic 28:62–71, 1964Google Scholar
- 5.Morgan R, Rogers J: Some results of the policy of integrating men and women patients in a mental hospital.Social Psychiatry 6:113–116, 1971Google Scholar
- 6.Easson WM: Adolescent inpatients in love: a therapeutic contradiction.Arch Gen Psychiatry 16:758–763, 1967Google Scholar
- 7.Levy J, Trossman B, Kravitz H,et al.: Inpatients in love: conjoint therapy of two adolescents.Canadian Psychiatric Association Journal 18:435–438, 1973Google Scholar
- 8.Pinderhughes CA, Grace EB, Reyna LJ: Psychiatric disorders and sexual functioning.Am J Psychiatry 128:1276–1283, 1972Google Scholar
- 9.Abernethy V: Sexual knowledge, attitudes, and practices of young female psychiatric patients.Arch Gen Psychiatry 30:180–182, 1974Google Scholar
- 10.Wignall CM, Meredith CE: Illegitimate pregnancies in state institutions.Arch Gen Psychiatry 18:580–583, 1968Google Scholar
- 11.Foy v Greenblott 141 Cal App 3d 1 (Cal Rptr Mar 1983)Google Scholar
- 12.MW v Jewish Hospital Association of St. Louis 44197, Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District, Division One, Sept 13, 1982 (637 S.W. 2d 74 Mo App 1982)Google Scholar
- 13.Richmond JB:Health Effects of the Pregnancy Use of Diethylstilbestrol. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare Physician Advisory, October 4, 1978Google Scholar
- 14.Withersty DJ: Sexual attitudes of hospital personnel: a model for continuing education.Am J Psychiatry 133:573–575, 1976Google Scholar