Multicompartment models of cancer chemotherapy incorporating resistant cell populations
- 32 Downloads
The pharmacokinetics of antineoplastic drugs based on compartmental models are combined with deterministic exponential growth models of tumors containing drug-resistant and sensitive cells. Model predictions for single-drug therapy are compared with in vivodata obtained by other investigators for L1210 t-cell leukemia in mice treated with BCNU and AraC and for in vitrotreatment of L1210 with Ara-C. The model and data compare favorably in terms of rate of tumor growth and duration of drug action for both constant infusion and bolus delivery of the drugs.
Key wordsChemotherapy mutation resistance compartmental analysis pharmacokinetics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.C. Finn and W. Sadee. Determiniation of 5-fluoroucil (NSC-19893) plasma levels in rats and man by isotope dilution-mass fragmentography.Cancer Chemother. Rep. 59:279–286 (1975).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Coldman and J. Goldie. A mathematical model of drug resistance in neoplasm In N. Bruchovsky and J. Goldie (eds.),Drug and Hormone Resistance in Neoplasm, Vol. 1, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, 1982.Google Scholar
- 10.G. Levy. Relationship between pharmacological effects and plasma or tissue concentration of drugs in man. In. D. Davies and B. Prichard (eds.),Biological Effects of Drugs in Relation to Their Plasma Concentrations, MacMillan, London, 1973.Google Scholar
- 15.H. Skipper. Pharmacological basis of cancer chemotherapy: Closing remarks. InPharmacological Basis of Cancer Chemotherapy, Symposium on Fundamental Cancer Research, University of Texas, 1974, pp. 713–726.Google Scholar
- 18.J. Jacquez.Compartmental Analysis in Biology and Medicine, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1972.Google Scholar
- 20.A. Rescigno and G. Segre.Drug and Tracer Kinetics, Blaisdell, Massachusetts, 1966.Google Scholar
- 23.M. Gibaldi and D. Perrier.Pharmacokinetics, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1975.Google Scholar
- 24.F. Schabel, M. Skipper, M. Trader, W. Laster, T. Corbett, and D. Griswold. Concepts for controlling drug resistant tumor cells. In M. Mourisden and T. Palshof (eds.),Breast Cancer—Experimental and Clinical Aspects, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1980, pp. 199–221.Google Scholar
- 25.H. Skipper. Booklets 11, 12, 16, 17, Southern Research Institute, Birmingham, Alabama, 1980.Google Scholar
- 33.J. Lankelma and E. Van der Kleijn. The plasma concentration of methotrexate. In F. Merkus (ed.),The Serum Concentration of Drugs, Excerpta Medica. Amsterdam, 1980, pp. 244–249.Google Scholar
- 35.S. Chuang. Mathematic models for cancer chemotherapy: Pharmacokinetic and cell kinetic considerations.Cancer Treat. Rep. 59:827–842 (1975).Google Scholar