Acute and chronic effects of carbaryl on survival, growth, and metamorphosis in the bullfrog (Rana tigrina)
- 84 Downloads
The effects of carbaryl (1-naphthalenyl methylcarbamate), an extensively used insecticide in agricultural operations, have been studied on survival, growth, and metamorphosis of the bullfrog tadpoleRana tigrina. The 96 hr LC50 value for tadpoles (0.02 g) was 6.2 mg/L. The tadpoles were reared from hatching to metamorphosis in sublethal concentrations of carbaryl. Rates of feeding, defecation, and excretion increased with increasing concentration of carbaryl but the conversion rate decreased leading to the production of small froglets. The tadpoles exposed to the sublethal concentrations suffered no mortality until the appearance of the forelimb; however, during metamorphosis mortality was significant, even at 2 mg/L.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arunachalam, S., and S. Palanichamy: Sublethal effects of carbaryl on surfacing behaviour and food utilization in the air breathing fishMacropodus cupanus. Physiol. & Behav. in press (1982).Google Scholar
- Bhaskaran, R.: Biological studies on chosen thermoconformer (Channa striatus). Ph.D. Thesis, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India (1980).Google Scholar
- Elliott, J. M.: Energy losses in the waste products of brown trout (Salmo trutta L.). J. Anim. Ecol.45, 561 (1976).Google Scholar
- International Trade Centre: Marketing prospects for frog legs from India in selected west European countries. Cochin/ Geneva (1980).Google Scholar
- King, S. F.: United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Special Scientific Report—Fish, No. 399, Washington, DC (1962).Google Scholar
- Malliga, G.: The influence of salinity and body size on the susceptibility ofTilapia mossambica to three pesticides. M.Sc. dissertation, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India (1979).Google Scholar
- Mathialaga Raj, R.: Comparative toxicities of six pesticides to a freshwater fishLepidocephalicthys thermalis. M.Sc. dissertation, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India (1978).Google Scholar
- Maynard, A. L., and K. J. Loosli: Animal nutrition. 5 ed. New York: McGraw-Hill (1962).Google Scholar
- Petrusewicz, K., and A. MacFadyen: Productivity of terrestrial animals. IBP Hand Book No. 13, Oxford: Blackwell (1970).Google Scholar
- Prosser, C. L., and F. A. Brown, Jr.: Comparative animal physiology. 2 ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders (1961).Google Scholar
- Rugh, R.: Experimental embryology. Techniques and procedures, 3 ed, Minneapolis: Burgers (1965).Google Scholar
- Solorzano, L.: Determination of ammonia in natural waters by the phenol-hypochlorite method. Limnol. Oceanogr.14, 799 (1969).Google Scholar