Quasilongitudinal propagation of narrow beams of nonlinear magnetohydrodynamic waves
- 22 Downloads
An equation, analogous to the Khokhlov-Zabolotskaya equation, is derived for narrow beams of quasitransverse waves propagating at small angles to a magnetic field. The effect of diffraction on wave propagation is investigated in the linear approximation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. G. Kulikovskii and G. A. Lyubimov, Magnetohydrodynamics [in Russian], Fizmatgiz, Moscow (1962).Google Scholar
- 2.E. N. Parker, “Origin and dynamics of cosmic rays,” Phys. Rev.,109, 1328 (1958).Google Scholar
- 3.D. Montgomery, “Development of hydromagnetic shocks from large-amplitude Alfvén waves,” Phys. Rev. Lett.,2, 36 (1859).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Barnes and J. V. Hollweg, “Large-amplitude hydromagnetic waves,” J. Geophys. Res.,79, 2302 (1974).Google Scholar
- 5.R. H. Cohen and R. M. Kulsrud, “Nonlinear evolution of parallel-propagating hydromagnetic waves,” Phys. Fluids,17, 2215 (1974).Google Scholar
- 6.E. A. Zabolotskaya and R. V. Khokhlov, “Quasiplane waves in the nonlinear acoustics of confined beams,” Akust. Zh.,15, 40 (1969).Google Scholar
- 7.O. V. Rudenko and S. I. Soluyan, Theoretical Basis of Nonlinear Acoustics [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1975).Google Scholar
- 8.E. A. Zabolotskaya and R. V. Khokhlov, “Convergent and divergent acoustic beams in nonlinear media,” Akust. Zh.,16, 49 (1970).Google Scholar
- 9.O. V. Rudenko, S. I. Soluyan, and R. V. Khokhlov, “Bounded quasiplane beams of periodic perturbations in a nonlinear medium,” Akust. Zh.,19, 871 (1973).Google Scholar