Nonlinear internal waves in a fluid of infinite depth in the presence of a horizontal magnetic field
- 27 Downloads
An investigation is made into the propagation of long nonlinear weakly nonone-dimensional internal waves in an incompressible stratified fluid of infinite depth in the presence of a horizontal magnetic field. It is shown that such waves are described by an equation representing the extension of the Benjamin-Ono equation to the weakly nonone-dimensional case. The equation obtained differs from that obtained in , which is attributable to the anisotropy of the medium resulting from the presence of a magnetic field. The stability of a soliton with respect to flexural perturbations is investigated. A particular case of the variation of the density with height at constant Alfvén velocity is examined in detail.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. T. Benjamin, “Internal waves of permanent form in fluids of great depth,” J. Fluid Mech.,29, 559 (1967).Google Scholar
- 2.R. E. Davis and A. Acrivos, “Solitary internal waves in deep water,” J. Fluid Mech.,29, 593 (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.H. Ono, “Algebraic solitary waves in stratified fluids,” J. Phys. Soc. Jpn.,39, 1082 (1975).Google Scholar
- 4.M. J. Ablowitz and H. Segur, “Long internal waves in fluids of great depth,” Stud. Appl. Math.,62, 249 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.B. B. Kadomtsev and V. I. Petviashvili, “Stability of solitary waves in weakly dispersive media,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,192, 753 (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.D. J. Korteweg and G. de Vries, “On the change of form of long waves advancing in a rectangular channel, and on a new type of long stationary waves,” Philos. Mag.,39, 422 (1895).Google Scholar
- 7.R. G. Giovanelli, “Oscillations and waves in a sunspot,” Solar Phys.,27, 71 (1972).Google Scholar
- 8.P. S. Cally and J. A. Adam, “On photospheric and chromospheric penumbral waves,” Solar Phys.,85, 97 (1983).Google Scholar
- 9.K. D. Danov and M. S. Ruderman, “Nonlinear waves on shallow water in the presence of a horizontal magnetic field,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 5, 110 (1983).Google Scholar
- 10.V. I. Yudovich, “Spectral properties of an oscillational differential operator on a straight line,” Usp. Mat. Nauk,38, 205 (1983).Google Scholar
- 11.L. A. Ostrovskii and V. I. Shrira, “Instability and self-refraction of solitons,” Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz.,71, 1412 (1976).Google Scholar