Dissipative heating and hurricane intensity
- 796 Downloads
Dissipative heating has not been accounted for in either numerical simulations of hurricanes or in theories for the maximum intensity of hurricanes. We argue that the bulk of dissipative heating occurs in the atmospheric boundary layer near the radius of maximum winds and, using both theory and numerical simulation, show that dissipative heating increases maximum wind speeds in tropical cyclones by about 20%.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bister, M. 1996:Development of Tropical Cyclones from Mesoscale Convective Systems. Ph.D. thesis, Mass. Inst. Tech., 112 pp.Google Scholar
- DeMaria, M., Kaplan, J., 1994: A statistical hurricane prediction scheme (SHIPS) for the Atlantic basin.Wea. Forecasting,9, 209–220.Google Scholar
- Elsberry, R. L., Emanuel, K. A., Holland, G., Gerrish, H., DeMaria, M., Guard, C., 1992: Is there any hope for tropical cyclone intensity prediction? A panel discussion.Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc.,73, 264–275.Google Scholar
- Emanuel, K. A., 1986: An air-sea interaction theory for tropical cyclones. Part I.J. Atmos. Sci.,42, 1062–1071.Google Scholar
- Emanuel, K. A., 1988: The maximum intensity of hurricanes.J. Atmos. Sci.,45, 1143–1155.Google Scholar
- Emanuel, K. A., 1995a: Sensitivity of tropical cyclones to surface exchange coefficients and a revised steady-state model incorporating eye dynamics.J. Atmos. Sci.,52, 3969–3976.Google Scholar
- Emanuel, K. A., 1995b: The behavior of a simple hurricane model using a convective scheme based on subcloud-layer entropy equilibrium.J. Atmos. Sci.,52, 3959–3968.Google Scholar
- Emanuel, K. A., 1997: Some aspects of hurricane inner-core dynamics and energetics.J. Atmos. Sci.,54, 1015–1026.Google Scholar
- Holland, G. J., 1997: The maximum potential intensity of tropical cyclones.J. Atmos. Sci. 54, 2519–2541.Google Scholar
- Miller B. I., 1958: On the maximum intensity of hurricanes.J. Meteor.,15, 184–195.Google Scholar
- Rotunno, R., Emanuel, K. A., 1987: An air-sea interaction theory for tropical cyclones. Part II.J. Atmos. Sci.,44, 542–561.Google Scholar
- Schade, L. R., 1994:The Ocean's Effect on Hurricane Intensity. Ph.D. Thesis, Mass. Inst. Tech., Cambridge, MA. 127 pp.Google Scholar