Influence of the size of PbSO4 crystals on their solubility and the significance of this process in the lead-acid battery
- 174 Downloads
When the PbO2 plate of the lead-acid battery is discharged, small PbSO4 crystals are initially formed which subsequently undergo recrystallization. In this paper the driving forces of the PbSO4 recrystallization process are established. The change in solubility of the small PbSO4 crystals with time in 1m and 0.1m H2SO4 is determined. Initially the solubility is high and decreases with time to reach a steady value, in agreement with that in the literature. SEM observations indicate that this process is associated with an increase in the volume of the PbSO4 crystals. The surface free energy of PbSO4 is estimated and a scheme for the recrystallization process at the PbO2 active mass is proposed.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Free Energy Recrystallization H2SO4 Driving Force
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Pavlov and E. Bashtavelova,J. Electrochem. Soc. 133 (1986) 241.Google Scholar
- S. Hattory, M. Yamaura, M. Kohno, Y. Ohtani, M. Yamane and H. Nakashima, in ‘Power Sources 5’ (edited by D. H. Collins) Academic Press, London (1975) p. 139.Google Scholar
- S. E. Afifi, W. H. Edwards and N. A. Hampson,Surf. Technol. 4 (1976) 173.Google Scholar
- A. E. Dawkins and P. R. Weldon,Soc. Chem. Ind. Victoria 22 (1922) 940.Google Scholar
- N. Kamayama and K. Fukumoto,J. Soc. Chem. Ind. Jap 46 (1943) 1022.Google Scholar
- M. Huybrechts and H. Ramelot,Bul. Soc. Chim. Belg. 36 (1927) 239.Google Scholar
- E. M. Lifshitz and V. V. Slezov,Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 35 (1958) 479.Google Scholar
- A. E. Nielsen and O. Sohnel,J. Cryst. Growth 11 (1971) 233.Google Scholar
- V. D. Kuznetzov, ‘Crystals and Crystallization’, Gos. Izd. Techniko-teoret. literaturi, Moscow (1953) p. 194.Google Scholar
- B. V. Enustun and J. Turkevich,J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 82 (1959) 4502.Google Scholar
- D. Pavlov and E. Bashtavelova,J. Electrochem. Soc. 131 (1984) 1468.Google Scholar