Phase-structure analysis of brass by anodic linear-sweep voltammetry
- 73 Downloads
Anodic linear-sweep voltammetry (ALSV) was applied to electrodeposited alloy layers and to metallurgically obtained Cu−Zn alloys of different composition and structure. Metallurgically obtained samples covered the range of composition in which α, (α+β), β and (β+γ) intermediate phases were detected by X-ray. The ALSV of samples containing less than 30 wt % Zn exhibited a single peak at −0.08 to −0.1 V/SCE before massive dissolution, starting at about −0.05 V/SCE. The presence of the γ-phase gave another peak at a significantly more negative potential (−0.25 to −0.35 V/SCE). The ALSV of electrodeposited alloys were significantly more complex than the former, depending on the deposition potentials, with peaks attributable to pure Zn, to the ε-phase, to the η-phase as well as to the α-phase, present in most cases and dissolving at potentials similar to that of pure Cu. ALSV was shown to be a reliable and practical method for a fast determination of both the composition and the phase structure of electrodeposited brass.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Phase Structure Single Peak Intermediate Phasis Practical Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Gerischer and H. Richert,Z. Metallkunde,46 (1955) 681.Google Scholar
- J. O'M. Bockris, B. Rubin, A. Despić and B. Lovreček,Electrochim. Acta 17 (1972) 973.Google Scholar
- H. W. Pickering and P. J. Byrne,J. Electrochem. Soc. 116 (1969) 1492.Google Scholar
- H. W. Pickering and P. J. Byrne,118 (1971) 209.Google Scholar
- J. E. Holiday and H. W. Pickering,120 (1973) 470.Google Scholar
- S. W. Swathirajan,133 (1986) 671.Google Scholar
- I. Petro, T. Mallat, A. Szabo and F. Hange,J. Electroanal. Chem. 160 (1984) 289.Google Scholar
- V. D. Jović, R. M. Zejnilović, A. R. Despić and J. S. Stevanović,J. Appl. Electrochem. 18 (1988) 511.Google Scholar
- V. D. Jović, A. R. Despić, J. S. Stevanović and S. Spaić,Electrochim. Acta 34 (1989) 1093.Google Scholar
- V. V. Bondar, V. V. Grimina and V. N. Pavlov,Itogi nauki i techniki, Elektrokhimiya Vol.16, Moscow (1980).Google Scholar