Growth of resistance with density of scatterers in one dimensional wave propagation
We study wave propagation in a one-dimensional disordered array of scattering potentials. We consider three different ensembles of scatterer configurations: anN-ensemble with a fixed numberN of scatterers, anL-ensemble with a varying number of scatterers distributed over a fixed lengthL, and anNL-ensemble where bothN andL are fixed. The latter ensemble allows a detailed study of the mean resistance and its variance for a fixed lengthL as the number of scatterersN increases. We find that the Landauer result, which predicts an exponential increase of the mean resistance withN, is valid only in the low-density regime. At high density the mean resistance grows exponentially with √N and the concept of optical potential applies. In the crossover regime we find an interesting resonance.
Key wordsOne-dimensional conduction mean variance of resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Landauer,Phil. Mag. 21:863 (1970).Google Scholar
- 2.M. Buttiker, Y. Imry, R. Landauer, and S. Pinhas,Phys. Rev. B 31:6207 (1985).Google Scholar
- 3.P. W. Anderson, D. J. Thouless, E. Abrahams, and D. S. Fisher,Phys. Rev. B 22:3519 (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.P. Erdös and R. C. Herndon,Adv. Phys. 31:65 (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.B. U. Felderhof,J. Stat. Phys. 43:267 (1986), referred to as I.Google Scholar
- 6.H. L. Frisch and S. P. Lloyd,Phys. Rev. 120:1175 (1960).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Takahashi,Proc. Phys. Math. Soc. Japan 24:60 (1942); R. Sells, C. Harris, and E. Guth,J. Chem. Phys. 21:1422, 1677 (1953).Google Scholar
- 8.J. T. Ubbink,Physica 52:253 (1971).Google Scholar
- 9.N. G. van Kampen,Stochastic Processes in Physics and Chemistry (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1981).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Lax,Rev. Mod. Phys. 23:287 (1951).Google Scholar