Square lattice variational approximations applied to the Ising model
- 43 Downloads
The variational method developed by Baxter is applied to the zero-field Ising model on the square lattice. The problem is simplified to that of solving a relatively small system of nonlinear equations. The estimates to the spontaneous magnetization and the critical temperature from the sequence of variational approximations are obtained. The results converge rapidly to the exact ones. They exhibit a crossover phenomenon and satisfy a scaling relation.
Key wordsIsing model variational approximation spinor representatives crossover phenomena scaling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. J. Baxter,J. Math. Phys. 9:650 (1968).Google Scholar
- 2.S. B. Kelland,Can. J. Phys. 54:1621 (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.R. J. Baxter,J. Stat. Phys. 19:461 (1978).Google Scholar
- 4.H. A. Kramers and G. H. Wannier,Phys. Rev. 60:263 (1941).Google Scholar
- 5.B. Kaufmann,Phys. Rev. 76:1232 (1949).Google Scholar
- 6.R. J. Baxter,J. Stat. Phys. 15:485 (1976).Google Scholar
- 7.R. J. Baxter,J. Stat. Phys. 17:1 (1977).Google Scholar
- 8.C. N. Yang,Phys. Rev. 85:808 (1952).Google Scholar
- 9.A. Hankey and H. E. Stanley,Phys. Rev. B 6:3515 (1972).Google Scholar