The nucleation of lead from halide-containing solutions
The density of active sites and the nucleation rates per site for the nucleation of lead onto vitreous carbon from lead ion solutions in the presence of halides (Cl−, Br−, I−) have been investigated. Mass transport to growing nuclei was not found to be affected by the formation of soluble complexes of lead with the halides. No systematic variation of the true nucleation rates per site was observed upon addition of halides to the electrolyte. The density of active sites for nucleation, on the other hand, increased in the presence of halides. It is also shown that, in the absence of halide ions, the density of active sites for the nucleation of both lead and silver are equal to and independent of the concentration of metal ions in solution.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Halide Mass Transport Systematic Variation Nucleation Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. MacBrannen and E. Gannon,J. Electrochem. Soc. 130 (1983) 1667.Google Scholar
- I. Morcos,122 (1975) 122.Google Scholar
- G. Gunawardena, G. Hills and I. Montenegro,J. Electroanal. Chem. 138 (1982) 241.Google Scholar
- A. K. Vijh,Surface Technol. 20 (1983) 193.Google Scholar
- B. Scharifker and J. Mostany,J. Electroanal. Chem.,177 (1984) 13.Google Scholar
- J. Mostany, J. Mozota and B. Scharifker,ibid.,177 (1984) 25.Google Scholar
- A. Milchev, E. Vassileva and V. Kertov,ibid.,107 (1980) 323.Google Scholar
- R. Garrels and F. Gucher,Chem. Rev. 44 (1949) 117.Google Scholar
- A. Milchev,Electrochim. Acta 23 (1983) 947.Google Scholar
- J. Rowlinson,Chem. Soc. Rev. 12 (1983) 251.Google Scholar
- M. Sluyters-Rehbach, J. S. M. C. Breukel, K. A. Gijbertsen, C. A. Wijnhorst and J. H. Sluyters,J. Electroanal. Chem. 38 (1972) 17.Google Scholar
- D. J. MacKinnon, J. M. Brannen and R. M. Morrison,J. Appl. Electrochem. 13 (1983) 39.Google Scholar