Some chemical constituents of the secretion from the temporal gland of the African elephant (Loxodonta africana)
The temporal glands of African elephants were examined macroscopically and histologically, and were found to be modified apocrine sweat glands. The secretion from these glands was analyzed by gas chromatography and mass spectrometry, and some of the major volatile components have been identified as phenol andm- andp-cresol.
Key wordsAfrican elephant temporal gland phenol m- andp-cresol apocrine sweat gland Loxodonta africana
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams, J., andBerg, J.K. 1977. The repertoire of behavior of African elephants (Loxodonta africana) in captivity (manuscript submitted toJ. Mammal.).Google Scholar
- Bere, R. 1966.The African elephant. Golden Press. New York.Google Scholar
- Bales, N.B., 1925. External characters, skin, and temporal gland of a foetal African elephant.Proc. Zool Soc. London 2:445–456.Google Scholar
- Farrington, J.W., andQuinn, J.G. 1971. Comparison of sampling and extraction techniques for fatty acids in recent sediments.Geochim. Cosmichim. Acta 35:735–741.Google Scholar
- Fillerup, D.L., andMead, J.F. 1953. Chromatographic separation of the plasma lipids.Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 83:574–577.Google Scholar
- Johnson, C.W., andBuss, I.O. 1967. Molariform teeth of male African elephants in relation to age, body dimensions and growth.J. Mammal. 46:373–384.Google Scholar
- Kingston, B.H. 1964. The chemistry and olfactory properties of musk, civet and castoreum.Proc. 2nd Int. Congr. Endocrinol. 209–214.Google Scholar
- Laws, R.M. 1970. Biology of African elephants.Sci. Progr. Oxford 58:251–262.Google Scholar
- Perry, J.S. 1953. The reproduction of the African elephant (Loxodonta africana).Roy. Soc. London, Trans. B 237:93–149.Google Scholar
- Pocock, R.I. 1916. Scent glands in mammals.Proc. Zool. Soc. London 2:742–755.Google Scholar
- Short, R.V., Mann, T., andHay, M.F. 1967. Male reproductive organs of the African elephant,Loxodonta africana.J. Reprod. Fertil. 13:517–536.Google Scholar
- Sikes, S.K. 1971.The natural history of the African elephant. American Elsevier, New York.Google Scholar