Mitotic cycle time and DNA content in annual and perennialMicroseridinae (Compositae, Cichoriaceae)
Within eight annual and perennialMicroseridinae species studied, the duration of the mitotic cycle is positively correlated with the nuclear DNA content, cycle time (hrs) = 7.3 + 0.32 × pg DNA/nucleus. Within the generaAgoseris andMicroseris, the annuals have lower DNA contents and more rapid mitotic cycle times than do the perennials. This relationship is predicted by the nucleotypic theory ofBennett. Annual species ofPyrrhopappus have relatively high DNA contents and a proportionately longer mitotic cycle time, but contrary to that expected by the nucleotypic theory as originally proposed have the fastest growth rate and shortest generation time observed in theMicroseridinae. This rapid developmental rate is discussed, nucleotypically, however, by analyzing relationships between DNA content, mitotic cycle time, and cell size.
Key wordsCompositae Cichoriaceae Microseridinae DNA content mitotic cycle time annuals perennials developmental rates nucleotype
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Edwards, G. A., andEndrizzi, J. E., 1975: Cell size, nuclear size and DNA content relationships inGossypium. Can. J. Genet. Cytol.17, 181–186.Google Scholar
- Evans, G. M., Rees, H., Snell, C. L., andSun, S., 1972: The relationship between nuclear DNA amount and the duration of the mitotic cycle. In:Darlington, C. D., andLewis, K. R. (Eds.): Chromosomes Today,3, 24–31. New York: Hafner.Google Scholar
- —, andEhrendorfer, F., 1974: DNA content, heterochromatin, mitotic index, and growth in perennial and annualAnthemideae (Asteraceae). Plant Syst. Evol.123, 35–54.Google Scholar
- Northington, D. K., 1974: Systematic studies of the genusPyrrhopappus (Compositae, Cichorieae). Museum Special Publication6, 1–38. Lubbock: Texas Tech Press.Google Scholar
- Price, H. J., 1976: Evolution of DNA content in higher plants. Bot. Rev.42, 27–52.Google Scholar
- —, andBachmann, K., 1975: DNA content and evolution in the Microseridinae. Amer. J. Bot.62, 262–267.Google Scholar
- —, andNauman, A. F., 1973: Correlations between nuclear volume, cell volume and DNA content in meristematic cells of herbaceous angiosperms. Experientia29, 1028–1029.Google Scholar
- Schmid, W., 1965: Autoradiography of human chromosomes. InYunis, J. J. (Ed.): Human Chromosome Methodology, 102–109. London-New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Siegel, S., 1956: Nonparametric Statistics. 184–193. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Stebbins, G. L., 1953: A new classification of the tribeCichorieae, familyCompositae. Madrono12, 65–81.Google Scholar
- Wimber, D. E., 1960: Duration of the nuclear cycle inTradescantia paludosa root tips as measured with3H-thymidine. Amer. J. Bot.47, 828–834.Google Scholar