Pollenfertility and seed formation in theOrnithogalum umbellatum/angustifolium complex (Liliaceae/Scilloideae)
The pollen fertility and seed formation of six species of theOrnithogalum umbellatum/angustifolium complex and of seven related species were studied. Four types of pollen grains could be recognized. The pollen fertility varied greatly in this complex and is not related to the ploidy level. The seed formation ofO. umbellatum showed an adaptation to a subcontinental-Mediterranean climate, that ofO. angustifolium to an Atlantic climate. In both cases raindrops seem to be important for pollination, in view of the absence of insect pollinators. After open pollination 113 seedlings were obtained in four species. Their chromosome numbers were determined. Nearly all the cultivated seedlings were aneuploid, which points to a positive selection of euploids in nature, because aneuploid individuals are rare in the wild.
Key wordsAngiosperms Liliaceae Hyacinthaceae Scilloideae Ornithogalum O. umbellatum O. angustifolium Polyploid complex pollen shape pollen fertility seed formation seedlings weather circumstances
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Czapik, R., 1965: Karyotype analysis ofO. umbellatum L. andO. gussonei Ten. — Acta Biol. Cracov., Bot. series8, 21–36.Google Scholar
- —, 1966: The mechanisms of cytological differentiation in triploid populations ofOrnithogalum umbellatum L. — Acta Biol. Cracov., Bot. series9, 65–86.Google Scholar
- Gadella, Th. W. J., 1977: DiploidRanunculus ficaria L. in the Netherlands. — Proceedings Roy. Neth. Acad. Sci.80(2), 80–82.Google Scholar
- —, 1982: Cytology and reproduction ofHieracium pilosella L. and some related diploid species. — Acta Bot. Neerl.31(1/2), 140–141.Google Scholar
- —, 1981: Biosystematic studies onOrnithogalum umbellatum L. s.l. — Bol. Soc. Brot.53, 745–791.Google Scholar
- Gustaffson, A., 1946: Apomixis in higher plants. Part I. The mechanisms of apomixis. — Lunds Univ. Arsskr. N.F. Adv. 2,42(3), 1–67.Google Scholar
- Law, R., Cook, R. E. D., Manlove, R. J., 1983: The ecology of flower and bulbil production inPolygonum viviparum. — Nord. J. Bot.3(5), 559–565.Google Scholar
- Neves, J. de B., 1952: Estudios cariologicos no generoOrnithogalum L. — Bol. Soc. Brot.26, 1–93.Google Scholar
- Raamsdonk, L. W. D. van, 1985: Biosystematic studies on theumbellatumangustifolium complex in the genusOrnithogalum L. II. Genome characterization and evolution. — Nord. J. Bot., submitted.Google Scholar
- Tornadore, N., Garbari, F., 1979: Il genere “Ornithogalum” (Liliaceae) in Italia. 3. Contributo alle revisione citotassonomica. — Webbia33(2), 379–423.Google Scholar