Histological study of choroidal melanocytes in animals with tapetum lucidum cellulosum
- 109 Downloads
The distribution and morphology of choroidal melanocytes in dogs and cats which have a tapetum were compared with those of humans who do not. In dogs or cats, tapetal cell-like melanocytes were arranged in layers on the scleral side of the tapetum and underneath the choriocapillaris in the non-tapetal area. Although the tapetum of the dog occupied a smaller area than that of the cat, the tapetum plus the area of tapetal cell-like multilayered melanocytes occupied most of the fundus in the dog in almost the same way as in the cat. These multilayered melanocytes contained few intracytoplasmic organelles except for melanin granules, and some had regularly arranged melanin granules. In human eyes tapetal cell-like melanocytes were not found anywhere. It was concluded that the morphology and structural architecture of choroidal melanocytes of dogs or cats are different from those of human eyes and closely correspond to the tapetum.
KeywordsPublic Health Small Area Histological Study Structural Architecture Melanin Granule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bernstein MH, Pease DC (1958) Electron microscopy of the tapetum lucidum of the cat. J Biophys Biochim Cytol 5:35–53Google Scholar
- 2.Braekevelt CR (1980) Fine structure of the retinal epithelium in the bushbaby (Galago senegalensis). Acta Anat 107:276–285Google Scholar
- 3.Büssow H (1974) Zur Histogenese und Cytogenese des Tapeturn lucidum cellulosum der Katze. Eine licht- und elektronenoptische Untersuchung. Anat Embryol 146:141–156Google Scholar
- 4.Büssow H, Baumgarten HG, Hansson C (1980) The tapetal cell: a unique melanocyte in the tapetum lucidum cellulosum of the cat (Felis domestica L.). An electron microscopic, cytochemical and chemical study. Anat Embryol 158:289–302Google Scholar
- 5.Lesiuk TP, Braekevelt CR (1983) Fine structure of the canine tapetum lucidum. J Anat 136:157–164Google Scholar
- 6.Lucchi ML, Callegari E, Bortolami R (1978) The development of the rods in the tapetal cells of the cat. J Anat 127:505–513Google Scholar
- 7.Nakaizumi Y (1964) The ultrastructure of Bruch's membrane. II. Eyes with a tapetum. Arch Ophthalmol 72:388–394Google Scholar
- 8.Pedler C (1963) The fine structure of the tapetum cellulosum. Exp Eye Res 2:189–195Google Scholar
- 9.Pirie A (1966) The chemistry and structure of the tapetum lucidum in animals. In: Graham-Jones O (ed) Aspects of comparative ophthalmology. Pergamon Press, Oxford, pp 57–68Google Scholar
- 10.Tjalve H, Frank A (1984) Tapetum lucidum in the pigmented and albino ferret. Exp Eye Res 38:341–351Google Scholar