Nearest feasible paths in optimal control problems: Theory, examples, and counterexamples
- 147 Downloads
Many infinite-horizon optimal control problems in management science and economics have optimal paths that approach some stationary level. Often, this path has the property of being the nearest feasible path to the stationary equilibrium. This paper obtains a simple multiplicative characterization for a single-state single-control problem to have this property. By using Green's theorem it is shown that the property is observed as long as the stationary level is sustainable by a feasible control. If not, the property is, in general, shown to be false. The paper concludes with an important theorem which states that even in the case of multiple equilibria, the optimal path is a nearest feasible path to one of them.
Key WordsOptimal control Green's theorem infinite horizon multiplicative problems optimal stationary equilibrium economic applications
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Spence, M., andStarrett, D.,Most Rapid Approach Paths in Accumulation Problems, International Economic Review, Vol. 16, pp. 388–403, 1975.Google Scholar
- 2.Miele, A.,Extremization of Linear Integrals by Green's Theorem, Optimization Technique, Edited by G. Leitmann, Academic Press, New York, New York, 1962.Google Scholar
- 3.Sethi, S. P.,Optimal Control of the Vidale-Wolfe Advertising Model, Operations Research, Vol. 21, No. 4, 1973.Google Scholar
- 4.Sethi, S. P.,Quantitative Guidelines for Communicable Disease Control Program: A Complete Synthesis, Biometrics, Vol. 30, No. 4, 1974.Google Scholar
- 5.Sethi, S. P.,A Survey of Management Science Applications of the Deterministic Maximum Principle, Management Science (to appear).Google Scholar
- 6.Sethi, S. P.,Optimal Equity Financing Model of Krouse and Lee: Corrections and Extensions, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (to appear).Google Scholar
- 7.Vidale, M. L., andWolfe, H. B.,An Operations Research Study of Sales Response to Advertising, Operations Research, Vol. 6, pp. 370–381, 1957.Google Scholar
- 8.Sethi, S. P.,Optimal Advertising Policy with the Contagion Model, Working Paper, University of Toronto, 1976.Google Scholar
- 9.Sethi, S. P.,Optimal Quarantine Programmes for Controlling an Epidemic Spread, Operational Research Quarterly (to appear).Google Scholar
- 10.Sethi, S. P.,Optimal Investment Policy: An Application of Stokes' Theorem, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 2, 1976.Google Scholar