The use of the 2 substituted 5-nitroimidazole, fexinidazole (Hoe 239) in the treatment of chronicT. brucei infections in mice
- 85 Downloads
Relapse of chronicT. brucei infections was completely prevented by treating with either diminazene aceturate (Berenil) at 40 mg/kg or suramin (Germanin) at 20mg/kg followed by four doses of the 2-substituted 5-nitroimidazole (Fexinidazole)(Hoe 239). None of these drugs administered singly elicited 100% permanent cures although a high percentage of the mice were cured with four doses of Fexinidazole at 250 mg/kg.
A single dose of 20 mg/kg suramin followed by four daily doses of 30 mg/kg Fexinidazole will effectively eliminate all the trypanosomes from the brains of chronically infected mice.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Freireich EJ, Gehan EA, Rall DP, Schmidt LH, Skipper HE (1966) Quantitative comparison of toxicity of anticancer agents in mouse, rat, hamster, dog, monkey and man. Cancer Chem Rpts 50:319–244Google Scholar
- Jennings FW, Gray GD (1983) Relapsed parasitaemia following chemotherapy of chronicT. brucei infections in mice and its relation to cerebral trypanosomes. (Karger, Basel) Contr Microbiol Immunol 7:147–154Google Scholar
- Jennings FW, Whitelaw DD, Urquhart GM (1977) The relationship between duration of infection withTrypanosoma brucei in mice and the efficacy of chemotherapy. Parasitology 75:143–153Google Scholar
- Jennings FW, Urquhart GM, Murray PK, Miller BM (1980) “Berenil” and nitroimidazole combinations in the treatment ofTrypanosoma brucei infection with central nervous system involvement. Intern J Parasitol 10:27–32Google Scholar
- Jennings FW, Gray GD, Urquhart GM (1982) The use of Erlangen diamidine 98/202 in relapsingTrypanosoma brucei infections in mice. Trans Roy Soc Trop Med Hyg 76:204–207Google Scholar
- Jennings FW, Urquhart GM, Murray PK, Miller BM (1983) Treatment with suramin and 2-substituted 5-nitroimidazoles of chronic murineTrypanosoma brucei infections with central nervous system involvement. Trans Roy Soc Trop Med Hyg (In press)Google Scholar
- Raether W, Deutschlander N (1979) Fexinidazole (Hoe 239) a new 5-nitroimidazole with a marked action againstTrypanosoma cruzi in NMRI-mice. Congresso Internacional sobre Doenca de Chagas, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, p 142Google Scholar
- Raether W, Seidenath H (1983) The activity of fexinidazole (HOE 239) against experimental infections withTrypanosoma cruzi, trichomonads andEntamoeba histolytica. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 77:13–26Google Scholar
- Richle RW, Raaflaub J (1980) Differences of effective antitrypanosomal dosages of benznidazole in mice and man: Chemotherapeutic and pharmacokinetic results. Acta Trop 37:257–261Google Scholar