High-resolution optical spectra of laser cooled ions
- 161 Downloads
We obtain essentially Doppler free spectra of the naturally occuring isotopes of Mg+, which are bound in a Penning trap, by using a frequency stabilized laser to continuously cool the ions, while the scatter rate from a second, frequency swept laser is, monitored. We show that the magnetron motion as well as the cyclotron and axial motion can be minimized. Line position measurements yielding resonance transition energy, isotope and hyperfine shifts are reported.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.R.E.Drullinger, D.J.Wineland: InLaser Spectroscopy IV, ed. by H.Walther and K.W.Rothe, Springer Series Opt. Sci.21 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York 1979)Google Scholar
- 8.E.Weber: University of Heidelberg, private communicationGoogle Scholar
- 9.Average of values obtained from Eqs. (III.84) and (III.86) of N.F.Ramsey:Molecular Beams (Oxford University Press 1956) p.75Google Scholar
- 10.S. Gerstenkorn, P. Luc: Rev. Phys. Appl.14, 791–794 (1979)Google Scholar
- 11.P. Risberg: Ark. Fys.9, 483 (1955)Google Scholar