Ethical dimensions of diagnosis: A case study and analysis
A rational reconstruction of the role of moral values in diagnostic reasoning is undertaken. In the context of a case study it is shown how value and ethical considerations come into play in the complex course of making diagnostic and therapeutic decisions.
Key wordsDiagnosis Prognosis Treatment Value judgments Risk-benefit judgments Informed consent Paternalism Patient-physician relationship
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beauchamp, T., and Childress, J.,Principles of Biomedical Ethics, Oxford University Press, 1979.Google Scholar
- Beauchamp, T., and Walters, L. (eds.),Contemporary Issues in Bioethics, Dickenson Publishing Company, Encino and Belmont, California, 1978.Google Scholar
- Boorse, C., ‘Health as a theoretical concept’,Philosophy of Science 44, (1977) 542–573.Google Scholar
- Engelhardt, H. T., Jr., ‘The concepts of health and disease’, in H. T. Engelhardt, Jr., and S. F. Spicker (eds.),Evaluation- and Explanation in the Biomedical Sciences, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht and Boston, 1975, pp. 125–141.Google Scholar
- Engelhardt, H. T., Jr., ‘Ethical issues in diagnosis’,Metamedicine,1, (1980) 39–50.Google Scholar
- Engelhardt, H. T., Jr., and Spicker, S. F. (eds.),Evaluation and Explanation in the Biomedical Sciences, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht and Boston, 1975.Google Scholar
- Engelhardt, H. T., Jr., Spicker, S. F., and Towers, B. (eds.),Clinical Judgment: A Critical Appraisal, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht and Boston, 1979.Google Scholar
- Greenblatt S. H., ‘Limits of knowledge and knowledge of limits: An essay on clinical judgment’,Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 5, (1980) 22–29.Google Scholar
- Murphy, E.,The Logic of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 1976.Google Scholar
- Reiser, S. J., Dyck, A. J., and Curran, W. J. (eds.),Ethics in Medicine, MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1977.Google Scholar
- Silen, W., ‘Acute intestinal obstruction’, in Thorn, G. W., Adams, R. D., Braunwald, E., Isselbacher, K. J., and Petersdorf, R. G. (eds.),(Harrison's) Principles of Internal Medicine, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1977, pp. 1567–1570.Google Scholar
- Wulff, H.,Rational Diagnosis and Treatment, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, England, 1976.Google Scholar