Induced seismicity in the Khibiny Massif (Kola Peninsula)
The topic of this paper is to review recent processes of increasing seismic activity in the Khibiny Massif in the Kcla Peninsula. It is a typical example of induced seismicity caused by rock deformation due to the extraction of more than 2·109 tons of rock mass since the mid-1960s. The dependence of seismic activity on the amount of extracted ore is demonstrated. Some of the induced earthquakes coincide with large mining explosions, thus indicating a trigger mechanism. The largest earthquake, which occurred on 16 April 1989 (ML= 4.1) could be traced along the surface for 1200 m and observed to a depth of at least 220 m. The maximum measured displacement was 15–20 cm.
Key wordsRock excavation mining explosion induced seismicity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cook, N. G. W. (1976),Seismicity Associated with Mining, Eng. Geol. (Amsterdam)10, 99–122.Google Scholar
- Gibowicz, S. J.,Seismicity induced by mining. InAdvances in Geophysics 32 (Dmowska, R. and Saltzman, B., eds.) (Academic Press, San Diego 1990).Google Scholar
- Glowacka, E., andKijko, A. (1989),Continuous evaluation of seismic hazard induced by the deposit extraction in selected mines in Poland, ESC Proceedings, 21 st Gen. Ass. Sofia, Bulgaria, 23–27 August 1988, 444–451.Google Scholar
- Markov, G. A. (1977),Tectonic Stress and Rock Pressure in Khibiny Mines, Leningrad, Nauka, 187 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- McGarr, A. (1991),On a Possible Connection between Three Major Earthquakes in California and Oil Production, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am.81, 948–970.Google Scholar
- Meyer, K., andAhjos, T. (1985),Temporal Variations of Energy Release by Earthqukes in the Baltic Shield, Geophysica21 (1), 51–64.Google Scholar
- Panasenko, G. D. (1969),Seismic Features of the Northeast Baltic Shield, Leningrad, Nauka, 184 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Panasenko, G. D.,Technogenic increase of tectonic activity in the Khibiny Massif, problems and ways to study in. InGeophysical Investigations in the European North of the USSR (KB AS USSR 1983) pp. 25–38 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Panasenko, G. D., andYakovlev, V. M.,About the nature of anomalous deformation of a transport tunnel in the mountain Yukspor. InGeophysical Investigations in the European North of the USSR (KB AS USSR, Apatity 1983) pp. 38–44 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Reasenburg, P. A., andSimpson, R. W. (1992),Response of regional seismicity to the Static Stress Changes Produced by Loma Prieta Earthquakes, Science255, 1687–1689.Google Scholar
- Stein, R. S., King, G. C. P., andLin, J. (1992),Changes in Failure Stress on the Southern San Andreas Fault System Caused by the 1992 Magnitude=7.4 Landers Earthquake, Science258, 1328–1332.Google Scholar
- Yakovlev., V. M.,Recent crustal movement in the zone of the southern contact of the Khibiny Massif from data geometric, levelling. InGeophysic and Geodynamic Investigations of the North-East of the Baltic Shield, (KB AS USSR, Apatitiy 1982) pp. 85–88 (in Russian).Google Scholar