Paroxysmal dysarthria and ataxia in a patient with Behçet's disease
- 40 Downloads
The paroxysmal attacks which are frequently encountered in the course of multiple sclerosis (MS) are characterised by their sudden onset, short duration and frequent repetition. Such attacks have also been reported in some other diseases affecting the CNS, such as systemic lupus erythematosus. However, to our knowledge, they have not been reported in neuro-Behçet's disease (NBD). A patient with NBD who developed paroxysmal dysarthriaataxia attacks is presented, and the similarity of some clinical, laboratory, and neuroradiological aspects of NBD and MS are discussed with special emphasis on magnetic resonance imaging findings.
Key wordsNeuro-Behçet's disease Paroxysmal dysarthria-ataxia Magnetic resonance imaging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alema G (1978) Behçet's disease. In: Vinken PJ, Bruyn GW (eds) Handbook of clinical neurology, vol 34. North Holland, Amsterdam pp 475–512Google Scholar
- 4.Asayama R (1963) A case of Behçet's disease with symptoms of multiple sclerosis (in Japanese). J Clin Ophthalmol 17:857–863Google Scholar
- 6.Baykan-Kurt, Ciğeroğlu O, Kural Z, Eraksoy M (1993) Two cases of multiple sclerosis presenting with paroxysmal symptomatology and their MRI findings (in Turkish). Arch Neuropsychiatr 30: 398–403Google Scholar
- 7.Eraksoy M, Özdemir C (1984) Neurological aspects of Behçet's syndrome: clinical and laboratory characteristics of 24 cases with central nervous system manifestations (in Turkish). In: Saylan T, Azizlerli G, Övül C (eds) Second Behçet's Day (Istanbul, 8 March 1984). University of Istanbul, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine Rectorate No 3292, Faculty No 154, pp 25–35Google Scholar
- 11.International Study Group for Behçet's Disease (1990) Criteria for diagnosis of Behçet's disease. Lancet 335:1078–1080Google Scholar
- 14.Maeda K, Agata T, Nakae K (1988) Recent trends of Behçet's disease in Japan and some of its epidemiological features. In: Plotkin GR, Calabro JJ, O'Duffy JD (eds) Behçet's Disease: a contemporary synopsis. Futura, New York, pp 15–24Google Scholar
- 15.Martyn NC (1991) The epidemiology of multiple sclerosis. In: Matthews WB, Compston A, Allen IV, Martyn NC (eds) McAlpine's multiple sclerosis. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp 3–40Google Scholar
- 16.Matthews WB (1991) Pathophysiology. In: Matthews WB, Compston A, Allen IV, Martyn NC (eds) McAlpine's multiple sclerosis. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp 231–249Google Scholar
- 20.O'Duffy JD (1990) Vasculitis in Behçet's disease. Rheum Clin North Am Vasculitic Syndromes 16:423–432Google Scholar
- 22.Patel DV, Neuman MJ, Hier DB (1989) Reversibility of CT and MR findings in Neuro-Behçet's disease. J Comp Assist Tomogr 13:669–673Google Scholar
- 25.Shimizu T (1977) In: Dilşen N, Koniçe M, Övül C (eds) Clinicopathological studies on Behçet's disease. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, pp 9–43Google Scholar