Induced seismicity in large-scale mining in the kola peninsula and monitoring to reveal informative precursors
- 67 Downloads
Large volumes of rock mass, mined-out and moved within these deposits, resulted in irreversible changes in the geodynamic regime in the upper earth's crust of the adjacent territory. These changes manifest themselves in a more frequent occurrence of such intensive dynamic phenomena as tectonic rock bursts due to fault movement adjacent to the area which is mined-out and man-made earthquakes which sharply decrease mining safety and result in great material losses.
To develop the prediction techniques of such phenomena, a monitoring system is created, based on the program of the Kola Complex of geodynamic measuring stations. Most of this system is realized in the region of the Khibiny apatite mines. The system provides regional seismological monitoring, local prediction of seismicity in separate areas of a rock mass and, determination of stress and strain in rock masses, local geophysical monitoring over the state of rocks in a rock mass as well as physical and mathematical modelling of geodynamic processes in the upper earth's crust.
The investigations have resulted in the distinguishing of some regularities in manifestations of induced seismicity and tectonic rock bursts and in the determination of strain precursors of intensive seismic events in the Khibiny mines.
The mechanism is provided by the induced seismicity which resulted from the anthropogenic impact on the geological medium. A geodynamic monitoring complex is described, which is used to reveal the precursors of powerful seismic eventsin situ, and monitoring results are shown, obtained in the Kola Complex of geodynamic stations. Methods of preventing tectonic rock bursts and induced earthquakes are presented.
Key wordsSeismicity rock bursts stresses mining operations monitoring geodynamic regime informative precursors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aitmatov, I. T.,Geomechanics of Ore Deposits in Middle Asia (Frunze, Ilim, 1987) 246 pp.Google Scholar
- Babayev, A. M., Kulagin, V. K., Lyskov, A. M., Mamadaliyev, Jn., Mirzoyev, K. M., Sobolyeva, O. V., Starkov, V. I., Shklyar, G. P., andKhakimov, Induced seismicity in the vicinity of the Nurek reservoir. In:Effect of Engineering Activity on the Seismic Regime, (M., Nauka, 1977) pp. 69–94.Google Scholar
- Gupta, H., andRastogy, B.,Dams and Earthquakes (N. Mir, 1979) 234 pp.Google Scholar
- Ivanov, V. I., Kozyrev, A. A., andBelov, N. I. et al. Interim instructions on prevention of rock bursts in workings by drilling stress relief boreholes in the mines of the Apatit-Joint-Stock Company. Apatity-Kirovsk (Publ. House of the Kola Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1989) 20 pp.Google Scholar
- Johnston, I. C. (1989),Rock Bursts from a Global Perspective, Gerlands Beiträge zur Geophysik98, (6) Leipzig, 470–490.Google Scholar
- Jurov, A. S., Ivanov, V. I., Kozyrev, A. A. et al. Development of ways to reduce the danger of rock bursts in rocks when workings are driven using an advanced explosion. InScientific and Technical-Progress at the Apatit-Joint-Stock Company. Part I (M. Gighs, 1989) pp. 118–125.Google Scholar
- Knoll, P. (1990),The Fluid-induced Tectonic Rock Burst of March 13, 1989 in the “Werra” Potash Mining District of the GDR (First results), Gerlands Beiträge zur Geophysik,99 (3), Leipzig, 239–245.Google Scholar
- Kolesov, V. A.,The state of works on the problem of rock bursts in the mines of the Sevuralboksitruda. Report presented at the VIII th coordination meeting on solution of the problem of rock bursts in ore and non-ore deposits mining. Kirovsk, June 25–26, 1991. In:Rock Bursts in Ore and Non-ore Deposits Mining. Publ. House of the Kola Science Centre, RAS, Apatity, 1993) pp. 50–57.Google Scholar
- Konecny, P. (1989),Mining-induced Seismicity (Rock Bursts) in the Ostrava-Karvina Coal Basin, Czechoslovakia, Gerlands Beiträge zur Geophysik98 (6), Leipzig, 525–547.Google Scholar
- Kozyrev, A. A., andIvanov, V. I.,Studies on the problem of rock bursts in ore deposits in the Kola Peninsula. InPrediction and Prevention of Rock Bursts in Ore Deposits (Publ. House of the Kola Science Centre, RAS. Apatity, 1993) pp. 18–32.Google Scholar
- Kozyrev, A. A., andPanin, V. I.,Effect of large-scale mining operations on the geodynamic behaviour of the area, and mine-induced seismicity manifestation. In:Safety and Environmental Issues in Rock Engineering (A.A. Balkema, Rotterdam/Brookfield, 1993) pp. 841–843.Google Scholar
- Kuzin, I. P., andKalinin, N. I.,The peculiarities of the seismicity in the zone of the Inguri Hydro-Power Station's reservoir. InGeological-geophysical Studies on the Region of the Inguri Hydro-Power Station. Tbilisi (Metsniiraba, 1981) pp. 285–296.Google Scholar
- Levkovich, R. A., andIdarmachyev, Sh. G.,The seismicity in the region of the Chirkeysk reservoir during its filling with water. InEffect of the Engineering Activity on the Seismic Regime (M., Nauka, 1977), pp. 35–37.Google Scholar
- Lomakin, V. S., andJunusov, F. F.,Effective seismological monitoring in mines, InRock Bursts in Ore and Non-ore Deposits (Apatity, Publ. House of the Kola Science Centre, RAS, 1993) pp. 73–76.Google Scholar
- Melnikov, N. N., Raspopov, O. M., andJerukhimov, A. Kh., et al. (1985),A. New Instrument to be Used in Mining Geophysics, Vestnik A. N. of the USSR15, 6–15.Google Scholar
- Nikolyev, N. I.,On the state of study of the problem of induced earthquakes caused by engineering activity. In:Effect of Enginneering Activity on a Seismic Regime (M., Nedra, 1977) pp. 8–21.Google Scholar
- Nikolayev, N. I.,The Modern Tectonics and Geodynamics of Lithosphere (M. Nedra, 1988) 491 pp.Google Scholar
- Petukhov, N. I.,Scientific and mining-experimental works to solve the problems of rock bursts. InPrediction and Prevention of Rock Bursts in Ore Deposits (Publ. House of the Kola Science Centre, RAS, Apatity, 1993) pp. 11–17.Google Scholar
- Petukhov, I. M., Jegorov, P. V., andVinokur, B. Sh.,Prevention of Rock Bursts in Mines (M., Nedra, 1984) 230 pp.Google Scholar
- Plotnikova, L. M., Flyonova, M. G., andMachmudova, V. I. (1990),Induced Seismicity in the Gazli Gas Field Region, Gerlands Beiträge zur Geophysik.99 (5), Leipzig, 389–399.Google Scholar
- Savchenko, S. N., andKozyrev, A. A.,Investigations on stress state near the neighbouring fracture by boundary elements method In Assessment and Prevention of Failure Phenomena in Rock Engineering (Balkema, Rotterdam/Brookfield, 1993) pp. 251–256.Google Scholar
- Smirnova, M. N.,Induced earthquakes as a result of oil deposits development (the Starogroznensk earthquake). InEffect of Engineering Activity on the Seismic Regime (M., Nauka, 1977) pp. 128–141.Google Scholar
- Syrnikov, N. M., andTryapitsyn, V. M. (1990),On Mechanics of an Induced Earthquake in the Khibiny, DAN USSR314 (4), 830–833.Google Scholar
- Tryapitsyn, V. M., Kremenetskaya, E. I., andCherevko, V. S. et al.,Effect of large-scale mining on induced seismicity in block rock masses. InPrediction and Prevention of Rock Bursts in Ore Deposits (Publ. House of the Kola Science Centre, RAS, Apatity, 1993) pp. 76–83.Google Scholar
- Ulomov, V. I., andBezrodny, Je. M.,Complex instrumental studies of geodynamics near the Charvak reservoir. InEffect of Engineering Activity on the Seismic Regime (M., Nauka, 1977) pp. 29–34.Google Scholar