Recognition of the zones of seismic hazard in Polish Coal mines by using a seismic method
- 63 Downloads
In the Upper Silesian Coal Field the seismic hazard induced by mining operations in collieries is closely related to the rockburst hazard. A seismic method is used for premonitory recognition of the zones of seismic hazard. It takes advantage of the relationship between the velocity of propagation of seismic waves and the state of stress existing in the rock. It consists of the determination of the velocity field of artificially induced seismic waves in a studied fragment of the rock, and of locating the velocity anomaly. The position of the velocity anomaly zones and their intensity are the basis for estimating the seismic hazard in advance of mining works.
Key wordsSeismic hazard rockburst hazard seismic wave velocity stress state Upper Silesian coal mines
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dianiska, L., Hermann, L., andVerboci, J. (1982),Curved Ray Algebraic Reconstruction Technique Applied in Mining Geophysics, Geophysical Transactions28(1), 46–57.Google Scholar
- Dubiński, J. (1980),The Seismic Method for Evaluation of Stress State in the Rock under The Rockburst Hazard, Prz. Górn.4, 190–197. (in Polish).Google Scholar
- Ewing, M., Jardetzky, W., andPress, F.,Elastic Waves in Layered Media (McGraw-Hill, New York 1957).Google Scholar
- Jaeger, J. C.,Rock Mechanics and Engineering (Cambridge University Press 1972).Google Scholar
- Riznichenko, J. W.,Investigating the Rock Pressure by Geophysical Methods (Nauka, Moscow 1967) (in Russian).Google Scholar