Splitting of the vibrational frequencies of the multiple bonds of symmetrical molecules
- 35 Downloads
The vibrational spectra of symmetrical molecules containing equivalent multiple bonds was investigated.
The interaction of multiple bonds is not detected in the vibrational spectra when two intermediate ordinary bonds C-C are present in the molecule.
The splitting of the frequencies of the symmetrical and antisymmetrical vibrations of multiple bonds separated by oxygen and nitrogen atoms was studied (anhydrides of carboxylic acids, peroxides, imides). The causes of splitting of the frequencies were elucidated, and a physical interpretation was given. The conclusion was drawn that the force field in one group of atoms may depend substantially on the coordinates of the atoms in another, extremely distant part of the molecule.
KeywordsOxygen Nitrogen Peroxide Anhydride Carboxylic Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. P. Shorygin and T. M. Ivanova, Dokl. AN SSSR,121, 70 (1958).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Kohlrausch, Raman Spectra [Russian translation], Izd. AN SSSR, Moscow (1952).Google Scholar
- 3.K. Bradaes and L. Kahovec, Z. Phys. Chem.,B48, 63 (1940).Google Scholar
- 4.N. Sheppard and D. M. Simpson, Quart. Revs., London,6, 1 (1952).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Kohlrausch and A. Pongratz, Ber. Chem.,67, 976 (1934).Google Scholar
- 6.R. S. Rasmussen, D. D. Tunnicliff, and R. R. Brattain, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.,71, 1068 (1949).Google Scholar
- 7.M. J. Schmeltz, T. Miyazawa, S. Mizushima, T. J. Lane, and J. V. Quagliano, Spectrochim. acta,9, 51 (1957).Google Scholar
- 8.H. Ungnade and L. Rissiger, J. Organ. Chem.,22, 1088 (1957).Google Scholar
- 9.I. Brown, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.,77, 6341 (1955).Google Scholar
- 10.N. Kornblum, H. Ungnade, and R. Smileg, J. Organ. Chem.,21, 377 (1956).Google Scholar
- 11.I. P. Jesson and H. W. Thompson, Spectrochim. acta,13, 217 (1958).Google Scholar
- 12.L. J. Bellamy, B. R. Connelly, A. R. Philpotts, and R. L. Williams, Z. Electrochim.,B64, 563 (1960).Google Scholar
- 13.W. H. T. Davison, J. Chem. Soc.,1951, 2456.Google Scholar
- 14.P. Mirone and P. Chiorboli, Ann. chimica,50, 1095 (1960); Spectrochim. acta,18, 1425 (1962).Google Scholar
- 15.L. S. Mayants, Theory and Calculation of Molecular Vibrations [in Russian], Izd. AN SSSR, Moscow (1960).Google Scholar
- 16.A. J. Arvia and P. J. Aymonino, Spectrochim. acta,18, 1299 (1962).Google Scholar