Subjective psychological symptoms in outpatient asthmatic adolescents
- 33 Downloads
Outpatient adolescent asthmatics were studied using the Asthma Symptom Checklist (ASC) of Kinsman et al.The study showed that outpatient asthmatic adolescents are similar in many respects to older institutionalized asthmatics, except that in the former, psychological symptoms are more diffuse and recognition of respiratory symptoms is less severe. Further studies are needed to determine which psychological symptoms are most important in predicting prognosis in affected asthmatics or the development of “psychosomatic” asthma.
Key wordsasthmatics psychological symptoms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Knapp, P. H., and Nemetz, S. J. (1960b). Acute bronchial asthma. II. Psychoanalytic observations on fantasy, emotional arousal, and partial discharge.Psychosom. Med. 22: 88–105.Google Scholar
- McGovern, J. P., and Knight, J. A. (1970). Asthma. In Costello, C. G. (ed.),Symptoms of Psychopathology: A Handbook, Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Purcell, K., and Weiss, J. H. (1970). Asthma. In Costello, C. G. (ed.),Symptoms of Psychopathology: A Handbook, Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Tryon, R. C., and Bailey, D. E. (1970).Cluster Analysis, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Weiss, J. H. (1966). Mood states associated with asthma in children.J. Psychosom. Res. 10: 267–273.Google Scholar