Cyclization of isoprenoid compounds
- 20 Downloads
Under the conditions of the acid-catalyzed (H2SO4) low-temperature cyclization of geranylacetic acid and its cyclic analogs there occurs the stereospecific formation of isomeric bicyclic δ -lactones, the configuration of which may be determined both by the cis-trans isomerism of the original geranylacetic acid and by the position of the double bond (α or β) in the cyclogeranylacetic acid.
The cyclization of geranylacetic esters and their monocyclic analogs goes via an intermediate complex, the decomposition of which with an anhydrous base leads to cyclogeranylacetic esters and the decomposition of which with water leads to δ -lactones, the formation of which also goes stereospecifically.
A scheme is proposed for the mechanism of the transformations studied.
KeywordsEster Double Bond H2SO4 Lactone Isoprenoid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Mondon and G. Teege, Ber.,91, 1020 (1958).Google Scholar
- 2.M. Mondon and F. Erdmann, Angew. Chem.,70, 399 (1958).Google Scholar
- 3.G. Ohloff and G. Schade, Angew. Chem.,70, 24 (1958).Google Scholar
- 4.V. A. Smit, A. V. Semenovskii, B. A. Rudenko, and V. F. Kucherov, Izv. AN SSSR. Ser. khim.,1963, 1782.Google Scholar
- 5.A. V. Semenovskii, V. A. Smit, and V. F. Kucherov, Izv. AN SSSR. Otd. khim. n.,1963, 558.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Ruzicka, in “Propsects in the Development of Organic Chemistry” [Russian translation], IL (1959), p. 187.Google Scholar
- 7.V. A. Smit, A. V. Semenovskii, P. F. Vlad, and V. F. Kucherov, Izv. AN SSSR. Otd. khim. n.,1962, 312.Google Scholar
- 8.V. A. Smit, A. V. Semenovskii, and V. F. Kucherov, Izv. AN SSSR. Otd. khim. n.,1962, 470.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Meerwein, P. Borner, O. Fuchs, Jürgen Sasse, H. Schrodt, and J. Spille, Ber.,89, 2060 (1956).Google Scholar
- 10.D. W. Dicker and M. C. Whitig. J. Chem. Soc.,1958, 1994.Google Scholar
- 11.L. Ruzicka and F. Lardon, Helv. Chim. Acta,29, 912 (1946).Google Scholar
- 12.B. A. Rudenko and V. F. Kucherov, Dokl. AN SSSR,145, 577 (1962).Google Scholar