Complex geographical analysis of the Greater Sochi region on the Black Sea coast
Results of the complex analysis of the unique natural territory of Greater Sochi from the point of view of physical geography are considered. The region of Greater Sochi is located on the S slopes of the Main Caucasus chain on the eastern coast of the Black Sea. Morphometrical analysis of the relief and analysis air surface temperature and precipitation allowed to distinguish four specific subregions within the whole territory. It is demonstrated that the period of stable snow cover in the two subregions which occupy more than half of the region's area is sufficient for successful development of winter tourism. Peculiar combination of the mild climate of the coast with stable snow cover in the mountains till the beginning of summer provide strong attractivity of the region for all-the-year-round tourists inflow to the most modern recreational centre of Russia. The work provides the methodology for similar studies.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anisimov, V. I.: Relief morphometrical analysis principles. Grozny University Publishers, Grozny 1987. (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Anisimov, V. I.; Zasedatelev, Y. V.: Morphometrical analysis of mountainous relief for recreational purposes (for Krasnaya Polyana region). Geomorfologija N1, 51–57 (1993) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Barry, R. G.: Weather and climate in the mountains. Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad 1984. (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Horton, R. E.: Erosional development of streams and their drainage basins. Hydrological approach to quantitative morphology Bull. Geol. Soc. Amer. 56, 5–54 (1945)Google Scholar
- Leonov, A. K.: Regional oceanography. Part I. Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad 1960. (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Matley, I. M.: The Geography of International Tourism. Washington DC: Association of American Geographers (1976)Google Scholar
- Mitchell, L. S.; Murphy, P. E.: Geography and Tourism. Annals of Tourism Research 18, 57–100 (1991)Google Scholar
- Mosiyash, A. S.; Lugavtsov, A. M.: Agroclimatic character of the Greater Sochi. pp. 109–121. In: Destruction and mechanics of rocks. USSR Acad. Sci. Publishers, Moscow 1962. (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Selyaninov, G. G.: Climatic character of winter vegetational period. Transactions of Sochi Experimental Station 7 (1936) (in Russian)Google Scholar