Grain-boundary sliding and intergranular cavitation during superplastic deformation of α/β brass
Intergranular and interphase cavitation in binary alpha/beta brass has been investigated in tension at 600° C under conditions of superplastic deformation. The sites for nucleation of cavities has been studied by quantitative metallography and the cavities are observed to nucleate preferentially atα-β interfaces. The process of cavitation is associated with grain boundary sliding and cavity nucleation occurs at points of stress concentrations in the sliding interfaces. Measurements of grain and phase boundary sliding at various interfaces demonstrate that sliding occurred onα-β boundaries more readily than onα-α andβ-gb interfaces. The predominance ofα-β interface cavitation is believed to be as a result of greater sliding at theα-β boundary and of an unbalanced accommodation of sliding adjacent to this type of boundary.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. Garofalo, “Ductility” (ASM, Ohio, 1967) p. 87.Google Scholar
- 2.D. M. R. Taplin, G. L. Dunlop, S. Sagat andR. H. Johnson, Proceedings of the 2nd Inter-American Conference on Materials Technology, Mexico City, Vol. 1 (ASME, New York, 1970) p. 253.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Sagat, P. A. Blenkinsop andD. M. R. Taplin,J. Inst. Metals 100 (1972) 268.Google Scholar
- 6.W. M. Morrison,Trans. Quart. ASM 61 (1968) 423.Google Scholar
- 7.A. R. Marder,Trans. TMS-AIME 245 (1969) 1337.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Gittins andR. C. Gifkins,J. Aust. Inst. Met. 20 (1969) 177.Google Scholar
- 11.T. Chandra, J. J. Jonas andD. M. R. Taplin,J. Aust. Inst. Met. 20 (1975) 220.Google Scholar
- 13.R. C. Gifkins andT. G. Langdon,J. Inst. Met. 93 (1964–5) 847.Google Scholar
- 14.G. J. Cocks andD. M. R. Taplin,Metallurgica 75 (1967) 82.Google Scholar
- 15.D. McLean,J. Inst. Met. 85 (1956–7) 468.Google Scholar
- 16.R. G. Fleck, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Birmingham (1973).Google Scholar
- 18.D. McLean, “Grain Boundaries in Metals” (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1957) p. 79.Google Scholar
- 19.E. D. Hondros, “Interfaces”, edited by R. C. Gifkins (Butterworths, Melbourne, 1969) p. 77.Google Scholar