Measuring geocentric radial coordinates with a non-fiducial GPS network
- 55 Downloads
In this paper we address the problem of estimating the short term precision of the geocentric radial coordinate of a GPS receiver placed on the Earth crust using a non-fiducial approach. The network used in our analysis contains 35 receivers distributed globally. We have analyzed the data with two different strategies: global and regional. In the global strategy the results obtained, which are compatible with those of Heflin et al. (1992) and Blewitt et al. (1992), provide a weighted root mean square of the residuals (wrms) one order of magnitude larger than the formal errors of the individual estimates. Our regional strategy is based on the assumption that errors in the orbit determination induce errors in the receiver positions, correlated up to large scales. This approach allows us to obtain a significant agreement between the wrms and the formal errors.
KeywordsRadial Component Formal Error Tide Gauge Correlation Radius Visible Satellite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashkenazi V., Bingley R.M., Chang C.C., Dodson A.H., Torres J.A., Boucher C., Fagard H., Caturla J.L., Quiros R., Capdevila J., Calvert J., Baker T.F., Rius A. and Cross P.A. (1994). ”Eurogauge: The West European Tide Gauge Monitoring Project”.Proceeding of the INSMAP 94 Conference, Hannover, Germany, September 1994.Google Scholar
- Blewitt G. (1993). ”Advances in Global Positioning System Technology for Geodynamics Investigations: 1978–1992”. Contributions of Space Geodesy to Geodynamics: Technology. Geodynamics Series 25, 195.Google Scholar
- Heflin, M (1993). ”Station Coordinate Analysis Software”, IOM 335.4-93-005 (JPL internal document), Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena CA.Google Scholar
- Papoulis A (1965). ”Probability Random Variables and Stochastic Processes”, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.Google Scholar
- Sovers and Border (1990). Observation model and parameter partials for the JPL geodetic modeling software ”GPSOMC”. JPL Publication 87-21, Rev. 2, JPL, Pasadena, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- Torres J.A., Kol M.H., Ashkenazi V., Bingley R.M., Baker T.F., Boucher C., Calvert C., Caturla J.L., Cross P.A., and Rius A. (1994). ”Monitoring Sea Level at Tide Gauges with Space Geodetic Techniques: The Eurogauge Project”.Proceedings of the LITTORAL 94 Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, September 1994.Google Scholar