Comparison of the level of mitotic activity and duration of mitosis in normal and neoplastic mouse tissues during the 24-hour period
- 13 Downloads
Diurnal rhythms of cell division in the epithelium of the forestomach and in a transplantable carcinoma of the forestomach were found to be largely similar and the duration of mitosis in both these tissues varied during the course of the 24-hour period. The mean diurnal mitotic activity in the tumor was twice as high as in the normal forestomach. By contrast, in the course of 24 h colchamine (colcemid) led to the accumulation of 121.1‰ of mitoses, compared with only 83.8 ‰ in the carcinoma. The larger number of mitoses in the tumor when counted in the ordinary way can be explained by the 2.7 times greater mean diurnal duration of mitosis in carcinoma of the forestomach than in the normal epithelium of the forestomach.
Key wordsDuration of mitosis carcinoma of the forestomach epithelium of the forestomach colcemid mitotic index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. V. Berezkin, “Effect of cyclophosphamide on cell division in mouse tumors and normal mouse tissues when administered at different times of day,” Author's Abstract of Candidate's Dissertation, Moscow (1973).Google Scholar
- 2.S. G. Mamontov and L. N. Ivanova, Tsitologiya, No. 1, 51 (1971).Google Scholar
- 3.Yu. A. Romanov and V. P. Rybakov, Byull. Éksp. Biol. Med., No. 8, 89 (1970).Google Scholar
- 4.L. Yu. Rudenko, “The study of diurnal changes in cell proliferation in hepatoma 22a and the effect of cyclophosphamide depending on the time of its administration,” Author's Abstract of Candidate's Dissertation, Leningrad (1975).Google Scholar
- 5.O. S. Frankfurt, Vopr. Onkol., No. 10, 98 (1967).Google Scholar
- 6.R. Baserga, Cancer Res.,55, 581 (1965).Google Scholar
- 7.F. Bertalanffy, Naturwissenschaften,50, 648 (1963).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Evensen and O. Iversen, Nature,196, 383 (1962).Google Scholar
- 9.I. Llanos and A. Badran, Rev. Soc. Argent. Biol.,37, 226 (1961).Google Scholar
- 10.E. G. Rondanelli, E. Magliulo, G. Pilla, et al., Acta Haemat. (Basel),42, 76 (1969).Google Scholar