Quantum nonlocality without counterfactual definiteness?
- 46 Downloads
Stapp's recent proof of the nonlocality of quantum mechanics is critically discussed. It is demonstrated that in his derivation of the Bell inequalities an extra requirement, over locality, is used, which is tantamount to counterfactual definiteness, and that is not a consequence of locality.
Keywordsquantum mechanics hidden-variables theory Bell inequalities locality counterfactual definiteness reproducibility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. P. Stapp,Found. Phys. 18, 427, 833 (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.H. P. Stapp, inPhilosophical Implications of Quantum Theory, J. Cushing and E. McMullin, eds. (Notre Dame University Press, Notre Dame, 1989); also, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory Report LBL-24257, 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.H. P. Stapp,Phys. Rev. D 3, 1303 (1971);Nuovo Cimento 29B, 270 (1975);40B, 191 (1977);Found. Phys. 10, 767 (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.L. E. Ballentine,Am. J. Phys. 54, 883 (1986).Google Scholar
- 5.N. Bohr, “The causality problem in atomic physics,” inNew Theories in Physics (International Institute of Intellectual Cooperation, Paris, 1939), p. 11–45.Google Scholar
- 6.J. F. Clauser and M. A. Horne,Phys. Rev. D 10, 526 (1974).Google Scholar
- 7.W. M. de Muynck and J. T. van Stekelenborg,Ann. Phys. (Ser.7 45, 222 (1988).Google Scholar
- 8.H. P. Stapp, private communication.Google Scholar
- 9.W. M. de Muynck,Found. Phys. 14, 111, 199 (1984).Google Scholar
- 10.W. De Baere,Lett. Nuovo Cimento 39, 234 (1984);40, 488 (1984);Adv. Electronics and Electron Phys. 68, 245 (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.G. C. Ghirardi and T. Weber,Lett. Nuovo Cimento 26, 599 (1979),Nuovo Cimento 78B, 9 (1983); G. C. Ghirardi, A. Rimini, and T. Weber,Lett. Nuov Cimento 27, 293 (1980).Google Scholar