The aim of this essay is to distinguish and analyze several difficulties confronting attempts to reconcile the fundamental quantum mechanical dynamics with Born's rule. It is shown that many of the proposed accounts of measurement fail at least one of the problems. In particular, only collapse theories and hidden variables theories have a chance of succeeding, and, of the latter, the modal interpretations fail. Any real solution demands new physics.
KeywordsMeasurement Problem Bohmian Mechanic Hide Variable Theory Superselection Rule Modal Interpretation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albert, D. Z: 1992,Quantum Mechanics and Experience, Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Bell, J. S.: 1987,Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics, Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Bell, J. S.: 1990, ‘Against “measurement”’, in A. I. Miller (ed.),Sixty-Two Years of Uncertainty, Plenum Publishing, pp. 17–31.Google Scholar
- Beltrametti, E. G. and Cassinelli, G.: 1981,The Logic of Quantum Mechanics, Addison-Wesley Publishing.Google Scholar
- Bub, J.: 1989, ‘From micro to macro: a solution to the measurement problem in quantum mechanics’, in A. Fine and J. Leplin (eds.),PSA 1988, vol. 2, Philosophy of Science Association, pp. 151–9.Google Scholar
- Ghirardi, G. C., Rimini, A. and Weber, T.: 1986, ‘Unified dynamics for microscopic and macroscopic physics’,Physical Review D34, 470–91.Google Scholar
- Hepp, K.: 1972, ‘Quantum theory of measurement and macroscopic observables’,Helvetica Physica Acta 45, 237–48.Google Scholar
- Perle, P.: 1990, ‘Toward a relativistic theory of statevector reduction’, in A. I. Miller (ed.),Sixty-Two Years of Uncertainty, Plenum Publishing, pp. 193–214.Google Scholar
- Redhead, M.: 1987,Incompleteness, Nonlocality, and Realism, Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- van Fraassen, B. C.: 1991,Quantum Mechanics: an Empiricist View. Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- von Neumann, J.: 1955,Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, Trans. R. T. Beyer. Princeton University Press.Google Scholar