High frequency acoustic measurements in liquid3He near the transition temperature
We have made accurate measurements of the phase velocity in liquid3He at 0.6 bar near Tc using a path length modulation technique. The frequency used in this measurement (113 MHz) is much higher than any of the collective mode frequencies and well above the threshold for pair-breaking, ω≫Δ and ω > 2Δ0. We have observed a sharp but small linear increase in the phase velocity below Tc and a small decrease from the expected behavior in the normal fluid region very close to the transition temperature.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.R. Abel, A.C. Anderson, and J.C. Wheatley, Phys. Rev. Lett.17, 74 (1966).Google Scholar
- 2.L.D. Landau, Soviet Physics, JETP3, 920 (1957); L.D. Landau, Soviet Physics, JETP5, 101 (1957).Google Scholar
- 3.W.P. Halperin and E. Varoquaux, inSuperfluid 3 He, ed. W.P. Halperin and L.P. Pitaevskii, Eisevier, (1990).Google Scholar
- 4.P.J. Hamot, H.H. Hensley and W.P. Halperin, J. Low Temp. Phys.77, 429 (1989).Google Scholar
- 5.P.J. Hamot Ph.D. thesis (Northwestern University), unpublished (1994).Google Scholar
- 6.P.J. Hamot, Y. Lee, D.T. Sprague, T.M. Haard, J.B. Kycia, M.R. Rand, and W.P. Halperin, J. Low Temp. Phys.99, 651 (1995).Google Scholar
- 7.V.J. Emery, J. Low. Temp. Phys.22, 467 (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.D.N. Paulson and J.C. Wheatley, Phys. Rev. Lett.41, 561 (1978).Google Scholar
- 9.V.K. Samalam and J.W. Serene, Phys. Rev. Lett.41, 497 (1978).Google Scholar
- 10.J.M. Parpia, D.J. Sandiford, J.E. Berthold, and J.D. Reppy, Phys. Rev. Lett.40, 565 (1978).Google Scholar
- 11.M.W. Meisel, B.S. Shivaram, B. K. Sarma, J.B. Ketterson, and W.P. Halperin, Phys. Lett.98A, 437 (1983).Google Scholar
- 12.J.W. Serene, Ph.D. thesis (Cornell University), unpublished (1974).Google Scholar
- 13.J.A. Sauls, private communication.Google Scholar