The effect of particle size and spacing on the retardation of recrystallization in two-phase copper crystals
The effect of stable dispersion of Al2O3 in copper crystals upon recrystallization kinetics has been studied in three alloys, termed L1, L2 and H2, and in pure copper. L1 and L2 contained particles of similar size (0.028μm), but of differing interparticle spacing, and L1 and H2 contained particles of similar spacing (0.05μm) but of differing size. After a cold-rolling reduction of 50%, alloys L1 and L2 showed retarded recrystallization at 700° C compared with pure copper, there being greater retardation in L2, which had the smaller inter-particle spacing. Extensive recovery prior to recrystallization was observed and this led to deviations from the Avrami equation in describing the recrystallization kinetics. Calculations show that the retardation cannot be due to grain-boundary or sub-boundary pinning by the dispersed phase, and it is concluded that the effect is due to the homogenization of dislocation distribution by the particles suppressing nucleation. Alloy H2 contained larger particles (0.041μm), and exhibited accelerated recrystallization compared with pure copper. This indicates that a very delicate balance must exist between the factors tending to retard and those tending to accelerate recrystallization in these materials. It is suggested that the acceleration arises from an increased misorientation developing within the transition bands.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. D. Doherty andJ. W. Martin,J. Inst. Metals 91 (1962/63) 332.Google Scholar
- 2.F. J. Humphreys andJ. W. Martin,Acta Met. 14 (1966) 775.Google Scholar
- 3.O. K. Chopra andP. J. Neissen,J. Mater. Sci. 9 (1974) 279.Google Scholar
- 4.F. J. Humphreys,Acta Met. 25 (1977) 1323.Google Scholar
- 5.J. R. Porter andF. J. Humphreys,Met. Sci. J. 13 (1979) 83.Google Scholar
- 6.F. J. Humphreys andJ. W. Martin,Phil. Mag. 17 (1968) 365.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Allain, A. Naudon andJ. Caisso,Acta Met. 27 (1979) 545.Google Scholar
- 8.F. W. Rhines, W. A. Johnson andW. A. Anderson,Trans. AIME 147 (1942) 205.Google Scholar
- 9.R. L. Jones andA. Kelly, Proceedings of the 2nd Bolting Landing Conference, New York (1968) (Gordon and Breach, New York, 1968) p. 229.Google Scholar
- 10.C. W. Corti, P. Cotterill andG. A. Fitzpatrick,Int. Met. Rev. 19 (1974) 77.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Zener, in C. S. Smith,Trans. AIME 175 (1948) 345.Google Scholar
- 12.B. J. Duggan andW. B. Hutchinson, Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Textures in Metals (1975) (Metals Society, London, 1975).Google Scholar