Sebaceous carcinoma of the parotid gland
- 108 Downloads
Sebaceous carcinoma of salivary gland origin is extremely rare and, because of its rarity, the clinicopathological characteristics and the histogenesis are not fully understood. We present a case of sebaceous carcinoma of the parotid gland which brings the total number of reported cases to 22.
The tumor showed epithelial cell nests which were mainly composed of sebaceous cells with marked cellular atypia. In most of the nests, glandular spaces lined by ductal epithelium were present. Scattered mucous cells and flattened eosinophilic cells at the periphery of the nests were also seen. Ultrastructural and immunohistochemical observations of the tumour revealed coexistence of sebaceous and glandular differentiations in some tumour cells. Tumour cells with lipid granules often participated in the formation of glandular structures or exhibited intracytoplasmic lumina, and immunohistochemical localization of lactoferrin and secretory component, the functional markers of ductal epithelium of salivary gland, was demonstrated not only in duct-forming tumour cells but also in many sebaceous tumour cells.
It seems likely that sebaceous carcinoma originates from pluripotential duct cells which can differentiate into sebaceous, ductal and mucous cells.
Key wordsSebaceous carcinoma Parotid gland Salivary gland Ultrastructure Immunohistochemistry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akhtar M, Gosalbez TG, Brody H (1973) Primary sebaceous carcinoma of the parotid gland. Arch Pathol 96:161–163Google Scholar
- Batsakis JG, Litter ER, Leahy MS (1972) Sebaceous cell lesions of the head and neck. Arch Otolaryngol 95:151–157Google Scholar
- Constant E, Leahy MS (1968) Sebaceous cell carcinoma. Plast Reconstr Surg 41:433–437Google Scholar
- Cheek R, Pitcock JA (1966) Sebaceous lesions of the parotid. Report of two cases. Arch Pathol 82:147–150Google Scholar
- Evans RW, Cruickshank AH (1970) Sebaceous adenoma and carcinoma. In: Bennington JL (ed) Major problems in pathology, vol. 1, Epithelial tumours of the salivary glands. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, London, Tronto, pp 77–97Google Scholar
- Gnepp DR (1983) Sebaceous neoplasms of salivary gland origin: a review. Pathol Annu 18:71–102Google Scholar
- Gnepp DR, Brannon R (1984) Sebaceous neoplasms of salivary gland origin. Report of 21 cases. Cancer 53:2155–2170Google Scholar
- Granström G, Aldenborg F, Jeppsson P-H (1987) Sebaceous carcinoma of the parotid gland: Report of a case and review of the literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45:731–733Google Scholar
- Hayashi Y, Takemoto T, Tokuoka S, Tagashira N, Yazin K, Harada Y (1985) Sebaceous carcinoma of the parotid gland: Report of a case. Pathol and Clin Med 3:1135–1141Google Scholar
- Kleinsasser O, Hübner G, Klein HJ (1970) Talgzellcarcinom der Parotis. Arch klin exp Ohr-, Nas- u Kehlk Heilk 197:59–71Google Scholar
- MacFarlane JK, Viloria JB, Palmer JD (1975) Sebaceous cell carcinoma of the parotid gland. Am J Surg 130:499–501Google Scholar
- Mathis VH (1968) Beitrag zur Kenntnis der Sialome. Ein vertalgendes Karzinom der Glandula parotis. Dtsch Zahn Mund Kieferheilkd 50:405–408Google Scholar
- Meza-Chávez L (1949) Sebaceous glands in normal and neoplastic parotid glands. Possible significance of sebaceous glands in respect to the origin of tumors of the salivary glands. Am J Pathol 25:627–645Google Scholar
- Schmid KO, Albrich W (1973) Die Bedeutung von Talgzellen und Talgdrüsen für Parotisgeschwülste. Virchows Arch (A) 359:239–253Google Scholar
- Seifert G, Caselitz J (1985) Markers of oral and salivary gland tumors: Immunocytochemical investigations. Cancer Detect Prevent 8:23–34Google Scholar
- Seifert G, Miehlke A, Haubrich J, Chilla R (1984) Epithelial tumors of salivary gland. In: Diseases of salivary gland. Pathology, Diagnosis, Treatment, Facial nerve surgery. Georg Thieme Verlag Stuttgart, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Shulman J, Waisman J, Morledge D (1973) Sebaceous carcinoma of the parotid gland. Arch Otolaryngol 98:417–421Google Scholar
- Silver H, Goldstein MA (1966) Sebaceous cell carcinoma of the parotid region. A review of the literature and a case report. Cancer 19:1773–1779Google Scholar
- Tsukada Y, de la Pava S, Pickren JW (1964) Sebaceous-cell carcinoma arising in mixed tumor of parotid salivary gland. Report of a case. Oral Surg 18:517–522Google Scholar
- Zechner G, Albegger KW (1973) Talgdrüsencarcinom der Parotis. Arch klin exp Ohr-, Nas- u Kehlk Heilk 205:119–121Google Scholar