Measurement of beam quality degradation due to spherical aberration in a simple lens
- 201 Downloads
We have measured the effect on laser beam quality factorM2 of spherical aberration in a simple planoconvex lens. Theory predicts that the laser beam quality should remain essentially unchanged until the incident beam widthw exceeds a critical widthwq above which the beam quality will degrade rapidly, with theM2 value increasing as (w/wq4). We find good agreement between this theory and our experimental data.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L.MARSHALL,Laser Focus 4 (Apr. 1971) 26.Google Scholar
- 2.M. W.SASNET,The Physics and Technology of Laser Resonators, edited by D. R.Hall and P. E.Jackson (Adam Hilger, New York, 1989) p. 132.Google Scholar
- 3.A. E.SIEGMAN,Optical Resonators: Proc. SPIE 1224 (Jan. 1990) 2.Google Scholar
- 4.M. W.SASSNET and T. F.JOHNSTONJr,Laser Beam Diagnostics: Proc. SPIE 1414 (Jan. 1991) 21.Google Scholar
- 5.A. E.SIEGMAN,Appl. Opt.,32 (1993) 5893.Google Scholar
- 6.V. N.MAHJAJAN,Aberration Theory Made Simple (SPIE Optical Engineering Press, Bellingham WA, 1991); F. A. JENKINS and H. E. WHITE,Fundamentals of Optics, 4th edn (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1976), ch. 9.Google Scholar
- 7.R.MARTINEZ-HERRERO, P. M.MEJIAS and G.PIQUERO,Opt. Lett. 17 (Dec. 1992) 1650.Google Scholar