Impaired ketogenesis in fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase deficiency: a pitfall in the investigation of hypoglycaemia
- 50 Downloads
Intermediary metabolite concentrations were measured in blood during fasting in two patients with fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase deficiency. Hypoglycaemia was accompanied by markedly raised levels of plasma free fatty acids, without the expected degree of ketosis. This suggests that there is secondary impairment of ketogenesis in this condition, and could lead to diagnostic confusion.
KeywordsPublic Health Internal Medicine Free Fatty Acid Metabolite Concentration Plasma Free Fatty Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bartlett K, Aynsley-Green A, Leonard JV, Turnbull DM (1991) Inherited disorders of mitochondrial β-oxidation. In Schaub J, Van Hoof, Vis HC, eds.Inborn Errors of Metabolism, Nestlé Nutrition Workshop Series, vol. 24. New York: Raven Press, 19–41.Google Scholar
- Harrison J, Hodson AW, Skillen AW, Stappenbeck R, Agius L, Alberti KGMM (1988) Blood glucose, lactate, pyruvate, glycerol, 3-hydroxybutyrate and acetoacetate measurements in man using a centrifugal analyser with a fluorimetric attachment.J Clin Chem Clin Biochem 26: 141–146.Google Scholar
- Hawdon JM, Ward-Platt MP, Aynsley-Green A (1992) Patterns of metabolic adaptation for preterm and term infants in the first neonatal week.Arch Dis Child 67, 357–365.Google Scholar
- Jackson S, Bartlett K, Land J et al (1991) Long chain 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA deficiency.Pediatr Res 29: 406–411.Google Scholar
- McGarry JD, Foster DW (1980) Regulation of hepatic fatty acid oxidation and ketone body production.Annu Rev Biochem 49: 395–420.Google Scholar
- Pagliara AS, Karl IE, Keating JP, Brown BI, Kipnis DM (1972) Hepatic fructose 1,6 diphosphatase deficiency. A cause of lactic acidosis and hypoglycaemia in infancy.J Clin Invest 51: 2115–2123.Google Scholar
- Pogell BM, Tanaka A, Siddons RC (1968) Natural activators for fructose 1,6 diphosphatase and reversal of adenosine-5-monophosphate inhibition by muscle phosphofructokinase.J Biol Chem 243: 1356–1367.Google Scholar
- Ward-Platt MP, Tarbit MJ, Aynsley-Green MP (1990) The effect of anaesthesia and surgery on metabolic homeostasis in infancy and childhood.J Pediatr Surg 25: 472–478.Google Scholar