Whole-arm reciprocal translocation (WART) between Robertsonian chromosomes: finding of a Robertsonian heterozygous mouse with karyotype derived through WARTs
- 59 Downloads
The karyotype of a mouse trapped in a hybrid zone between a Robertsonian (Rb) population (2n=22) and a population with the standard karyotype (2n=40-all-telocentrics) shows two Rb chromosomes with new arm compositions. We suggest that whole-arm reciprocal translocations between Rb chromosomes gave rise to the new chromosome constitution and that such events can greatly help in understanding house mouse karyotype diversification and chromosomal speciation.
Key wordsmouse reciprocal translocation Robertsonian chromosome speciation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Britton-Davidian J, Nadeau JH, Croset H, Thaler L (1989) Genic differentiation and origin of Robertsonian populations of the house mouse (Mus musculus domesticus Rutty).Genet Res 53 29–44.Google Scholar
- Evans EP, Breckon G, Ford CE (1964) An air-drying method for meiotic preparations from mammalian testes.Cytogenet Cell Genet 3 289–294.Google Scholar
- King M (1993)Species Evolution: The Role of Chromosome Change. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,Mouse Genome (1994)92: 86–107.Google Scholar
- Nachman MW, Boyer SN, Searle JB, Aquadro CF (1994) Mitochondrial DNA variation and the evolution of Robertsonian chromosomal races of house mice,Mus domesticus.Genetics 136: 1105–1120.Google Scholar
- Redi CA, Capanna E (1988) Robertsonian heterozygotes in the house mouse and the fate of their germ cells. In: Daniel A, ed.The Cytogenetics of Mammalian Autosomal Rearrangements. New York: Alan R. Liss, pp. 315–359.Google Scholar
- Seabright M (1971) A rapid banding technique for human chromosomes.Lancet 2: 971–972.Google Scholar
- Searle JB, Hubner R, Wallace BMN, Garagna S (1990) Robertsonian variation in the wild mice and shrews.Chrom Today 10: 253–263.Google Scholar
- Sites JW, Moritz C (1987) Chromosomal evolution and speciation revisited.Syst Zool 36 153–174.Google Scholar
- Winking H (1986) Some aspects of Robertsonian karyotypic variation in European wild mice.Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 127: 68–74.Google Scholar