Defective molybdopterin biosynthesis: clinical heterogeneity associated with molybdenum cofactor deficiency
- 67 Downloads
A patient with molybdenum cofactor deficiency (producing the biochemical abnormalities associated with deficiencies of sulphite oxidase and xanthine dehydrogenase) clinically expressed Marfan-like habitus with dislocated lenses, vertebral abnormality, learning disability, moderate hemiplegia, increased medial lentiform MRI signal and intermittent microscopic haematuria.S-Sulphocysteine was present in plasma and urine, and the oxidized derivative of a molybdopterin precursor (precursor Z), together with xanthine and hypoxanthine, were elevated in urine. Blood uric acid was <1 mg/dl, while urinary urothione was not detected. These data indicate a functionally inadequate terminal enzyme for converting precursor Z to active molybdopterin (complementation group B of general molybdenum cofactor deficiency). Although the biochemical parameters were indicative of a severe deficiency state, the patient has survived into the third decade with a less severe clinical spectrum than has generally been associated with this disease.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Crawhall JC, Itiaba K, Katz S (1983) Separation and quantitation of oxypurines by isocratic high-pressure liquid chromatography: application to xanthinuria and the Lesch-Nyhan syndrome.Biochem Med 30: 261–270.Google Scholar
- Johnson JL, Rajagopalan KV (1982) Structural and metabolic relationship between the molybdenum cofactor and urothione.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 79: 6856–6860.Google Scholar
- Johnson JL, Rajagopalan KV (1995) An HPLC assay for detection of elevated urinaryS-sulphocysteine, a metabolic marker of sulphite oxidase deficiency.J Inher Metab Dis,18: 40–47.Google Scholar
- Johnson JL, Wadman SK (1995) Molybdenum cofactor deficiency and isolated sulfite oxidase deficiency. In Scriver CR, Beaudet AL, Sly WS, Valle D, eds.The Metabolic and Molecular Basis of Inherited Disease, 7th edn. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2271–2283.Google Scholar
- Johnson JL, Wuebbens MM, Mandell R, Shih VE (1988) Molybdenum cofactor deficiency in a patient previously characterized as deficient in sulfite oxidase.Biochem Med Metab Biol 40: 86–93.Google Scholar
- Johnson JL, Wuebbens MM, Mandell R, Shih VE (1989) Molybdenum cofactor biosynthesis in humans. Identification of two complementation groups of cofactor-deficient patients and preliminary characterization of a diffusible molybdopterin precursor.J Clin Invest 83: 897–903.Google Scholar
- Rajagopalan KV, Johnson JL (1992) The pterin molybdenum cofactors.J Biol Chem 267: 10199–10202.Google Scholar
- Robertson WG, Scurr DS, Smith A, Orwell RL (1982) The determination of oxalate in urine and urinary calculi by a new ion-chromatographic technique.Clin Chim Acta 126: 91–99.Google Scholar
- Shih VE, Abroms IF, Johnson JL, et al (1977) Sulfite oxidase deficiency. Biochemical and clinical investigations of a hereditary metabolic disorder in sulfur metabolism.N Engl J Med 297: 1022–1028.Google Scholar