A case of hemorrhagic pineal cyst: MR/CT correlation
- 111 Downloads
A 30-year-old male had a headache for one month and was evaluated with both computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance (MR). These scans demonstrated an obstructing pineal cyst containing layered acute and subacute blood products by MR criteria. The concurrent scans allowed correlation between CT and MR findings in this rare complication of an unusual entity, explained his headache (and the development of later upward gaze paresis), provided a precise surgical/anatomic approach, and gave a good final clinical result. The report illustrates appropriate CT and MR images and pathological specimen.
Key wordsPineal body, cyst Pineal body, hemorrhage Hemorrhage, intracranial Pineal tumor Pineal apoplexy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hasegawa A, Ohtsubo K, Mori W (1987) Pineal gland in old age; quantitative and qualitative morphological study of 168 human autopsy cases. Brain Res 409: 343–349Google Scholar
- 2.Lee DH, Norman D, Newton TH (1987) MR imaging of pineal cysts. J Comput Assist Tomogr 11: 586–590Google Scholar
- 3.Mamourian AC, Towfighi J (1986) Pineal cysts: MR imaging. AJNR 7: 1081–1086Google Scholar
- 4.Lum GB, Williams JP, Machen BC, Akkaraju V (1987) Benign cystic pineal lesions by magnetic resonance imaging. Comput Tomogr 11: 228–235Google Scholar
- 5.Higashi K, Katayama S, Orita T (1979) Pineal apoplexy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 42: 1050–1053Google Scholar
- 6.Apuzzo MLJ, Davey LM, Manuelidis EE (1976) Pineal apoplexy associated with anticoagulant therapy. J Neurosurg 45: 223–226Google Scholar
- 7.Richardson JK, Hirsch CS (1986) Sudden, unexpected death due to “pineal apoplexy”. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 7: 64–68Google Scholar
- 8.Baba M, Sugiura K, Takizawa H, Tatsuzawa T, Kamatsuka E, Hayama N (1985) Hematoma in the pineal region: A case report. No Shinkei Geka 13: 337–342Google Scholar
- 9.Steinbok P, Dolman CL, Kaan K (1977) Pineocytomas presenting with subarachnoid hemorrhage: Report of two cases. J Neurosurg 47: 776–780Google Scholar
- 10.Fujii T, Itakura T, Hayashi S, Komai N, Nakamine H, Saito K (1981) Primary pineal choriocarcioma with hemorrhage monitored by computerized tomography. J Neurosurg 55: 484–487Google Scholar