Investigation of adsorption and wetting of3He on cesium and cesiated glass
- 27 Downloads
Experiments have been carried out to investigate the binding of3He on cesium substrates, using optical pumping to spin-polarize the atoms. The behaviour of3He on the walls at low temperature can be analyzed through the evolution of the nuclear magnetization of the sample. Preliminary results are presented, including: (i) adsorption studies of gaseous3He on cesiated glass; (ii) magnetic relaxation time of polarized liquid3He on cesium and cesiated glass; (iii) evidence for wetting of liquid3He on cesium.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P.J. Nacher and J. Dupont-Roc,Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 2966 (1991)Google Scholar
- 2.G. Tastevin, P.J. Nacher, L. Wiesenfeld, M. Leduc and F. Laloe,J. Phys. France 49, 1 (1988)Google Scholar
- 3.V. Lefèvre-Seguin, P.J. Nacher, J. Brossel, W.N. Hardy and F. Laloe,J. Phys. France 46, 1145 (1985)Google Scholar
- 4.R. Barbé,Thèse d'Etat, Paris (1977); W.A. Fitzsimmons, L.L. Tankersley and G.K. Walters,Phys. Rev. 179, 156 (1969)Google Scholar
- 5.J. Treiner, private communication: using a Lennard-Jones potential to describe the He-Cs interaction, with a well depth D=4.4K and a Van der Waals coefficient C3=673KÅ3, one finds ε=−1.50K for He 4 and −1.22K for He 3. If parameters are adjusted to fit the latest results on wetting of He 4 on Cs (W.F. Saam, J. Treiner, E. Cheng and M.W. Cole, this conference) C3 is unchanged and D=8.6K. In that case, ε=−3.33K for He 4 and −2.79K for He 3.Google Scholar
- 6.N. Bigelow, P.J. Nacher and J. Dupont-Roc,Invited talk presented by J. Dupont-Roc, this conferenceGoogle Scholar
- 7.N. Bigelow, P.J. Nacher and J. Dupont-Roc,private communication Google Scholar
- 8.G. Tastevin,Oral contribution, this conferenceGoogle Scholar