Analysis of Raman gain for focussed Gaussian pump beams
Several theoretical and numerical models have been published which describe the evolution of a Stokes beam in a Raman medium excited by a focussed pump beam. Generally, the published theoretical departures from the plane-wave theory of Raman scattering are based on assumptions about the power of the pump beam. In this paper we present a theoretical model which is shown to be in excellent agreement with an exact numerical treatment, and which is valid without restrictions on the pump power. Its predictions are used to indicate the range of validity of earlier theories.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. D. Boyd, W. D. Johnston, Jr., I. P. Kaminous: IEEE J. QE5, 203–206 (1969)Google Scholar
- 2.D. Cotter, D. C. Hanna, R. Wyatt: Appl. Phys.8, 333–340 (1975)Google Scholar
- 3.W. R. Trutna, R. L. Byer: Appl. Opt.19, 301–312 (1980)Google Scholar
- 4.I. P. Christov, I. V. Tomov: Opt. Quant. Electron.17, 207–213 (1985)Google Scholar
- 5.B. N. Perry, P. Rabinowitz, M. Newstein: Phys. Rev. Lett.49, 1921–1924 (1982)Google Scholar
- 6.B. N. Perry, P. Rabinowitz, M. Newstein: Phys. Rev. A27, 1989–2002 (1983)Google Scholar
- 7.A. Gavrielides, P. Peterson: J. Opt. Soc. Am. B3, 1394–1407 (1986)Google Scholar
- 8.M. G. Raymer, J. Mostowski, J. L. Carlsten: Phys. Rev. A19, 2304–2316 (1979)Google Scholar
- 9.B. N. Perry, P. Rabinowitz, D. S. Bomse: Opt. Lett.10, 146–148 (1985)Google Scholar
- 10.H. Goldstein:Classical Mechanics, 2nd. ed. (Addison-Wesley, Reading 1978) p. 583Google Scholar
- 11.D. C. Hanna, M. Yuratich, D. Cotter:Non-Linear Optics of Free Atoms and Molecules, Springer Ser. Opt. Sci.17 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1979) pp. 18–19Google Scholar
- 12.A. Yariv:Quantum Electronics, 2nd. ed. (Wiley, New York 1975) pp. 109–113Google Scholar
- 13.W. J. Firth: Opt. Commun.22, 226–230 (1977)Google Scholar