The catastrophic cyclone of April 1991: Its Impact on the economy of Bangladesh
- 208 Downloads
A very severe cyclonic storm with wind speeds of over 240 km/h struck the coastal areas of Bangladesh in the full moon night of 29 April 1991. The path of the eye, close to the shore, raised a storm surge of unusual height, reportedly more than 9 m above the mean sea level, which devastated the offshore islands and the mainland coast. The damage to the physical infrastructure of the port of Chittagong and adjoining industrial area has been colossal, and recovery will take years. Death tolls from the cyclone, storm surge and its aftermath exceeded 145 000 making it one of the world's major natural disasters of this century.
This paper is concerned with examining the magnitude and intensity of the disaster. It analyses how the people of Bangladesh, and the environment in which they live, were affected by the cyclone. A brief account is presented of loss of life and of the damage suffered in various sectors, including agriculture, industry, and physical infrastructure.
The paper lays emphasis on the need of building a sufficient number of multipurpose cyclone shelters in the disaster-prone coastal areas of Bangladesh. Adequate measures should be taken for evacuating people from vulnerable areas and putting them into these shelters in the event of a cyclonic storm. Simplification of the current cyclone warning system is recommended.
The difficulties of providing relief to the survivors are discussed. And finally, the need for improvement of the communication infrastructure in the coastal areas is highlighted.
Key wordsBangladesh cyclone storm surge economic damage casualties cyclone shelter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics: 1991,Statistical Yearbook of Bangladesh, Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka, pp. 3–29.Google Scholar
- Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics: 1992,Statistical Pocket Book of Bangladesh, Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka. pp. 65–66.Google Scholar
- Bangladesh Centre for Advanced Studies: 1991,Cyclone '91: An Environmental and Perceptional Study, Dhaka, p. 20.Google Scholar
- Bangladesh Centre for Advanced Studies: 1992,Cyclone '91 Revisited: A Follow-up Study, Dhaka, p. 10.Google Scholar
- Community Development Library: 1992,The April Disaster: Study on Cyclone Affected Region in Bangladesh, Dhaka, pp. 1–56.Google Scholar
- FAO/WFP: 1991,Bangladesh: Report of Joint FAO/WFP Mission to Assess the Impact of the April 1991 Cyclone on the Food and Agriculture Sectors, Rome.Google Scholar
- Frank, N. L. and Husain. S. A.: 1971, The deadliest tropical cyclone in history?,Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 52(6), 438–444.Google Scholar
- Government of Bangladesh: 1991a,Emergency Rehabilitation Programme of Bangladesh National Fishermen's Co-operative Society Ltd. Affected by Cyclone and Tidal Bore, Ministry of Local Government Rural Development and Cooperative, Dhaka.Google Scholar
- Government of Bangladesh: 1991b,Environmental Issues and Management Plan, Pertinent to the Cyclone and Storm Surges of April, 1991, Report by the NEMAP Team, Ministry of Environment and Forests, Dhaka.Google Scholar
- Government of Bangladesh: 1991c,Cyclone Disaster of April 1991 and Relief, Rehabilitation/Reconstruction Requirements, Planning Commission, Ministry of Planning, Dhaka.Google Scholar
- Government of Bangladesh and United Nations Development Programme/World Bank: 1992,Multi-purpose Cyclone Shelter Programme, 2, Dhaka, pp. XXV–XXXII.Google Scholar
- Haque, C. E.: 1991, Impact and responses to the tropical cyclone 2B in coastal Bangladesh,Proc. Seminar Bangladesh and Natural Disasters, Carleton University, Ontario, Canada, pp. 14–26.Google Scholar
- Khalil, G. M.: 1992, Cyclones and storm surges in Bangladesh: Some mitigative measures,Natural Hazards 6(1), 11–24.Google Scholar
- Murty, T. S. and El-Sabh, M. I.: 1992, Mitigating the effects of storm surges generated by tropical cyclones: A proposal,Natural Hazards 6(3), 251–273.Google Scholar
- National Forum of Environmental NGOs: 1991,A Preliminary Report on Environmental Impact Assessment of Cyclone, Storm and Tidal Surges in the Greater Chittagong and Noakhali Districts of Bangladesh, Dhaka.Google Scholar
- Rashid, H. E.: 1991,Geography of Bangladesh, 2nd edn, University Press, Dhaka, pp. 87–88.Google Scholar
- Sevenhuysen, G. P.: 1991,Report on Cyclone Disaster Response in Bangladesh, Disaster Research Unit, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada.Google Scholar
- Talukder, J., Roy, G. D. and Ahmad, M.: 1992,Living with Cyclone, Community Development Library, Dhaka, pp. 86–102.Google Scholar
- The World Bank: 1991,The World Bank Annual Report 1991, Washington, D.C. 20433, p. 121.Google Scholar
- United Nations Information Centre: 1991,Natural Disasters in Bangladesh: A Continuing Threat to Development, Dhaka.Google Scholar