Vibrating wire measurements in liquid3He. I. The normal state
- 96 Downloads
A vibrating wire viscometer has been constructed using superconducting wire of diameter 58 µm in the form of a semicircular loop of radius 1.4 cm fixed at both ends and oscillating in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the loop. The use of the viscometer to measure the viscosity of normal phase3He is described and the corrections that have been applied to the data to allow for the finiteQ of the resonance, a quasiparticle mean free path comparable to the wire diameter, and a viscous penetration depth comparable to the size of the channel containing the wire are discussed. The measured viscosities show small departures from the ηT2=const law of Fermi liquid theory similar to those observed in some but not all previous measurements. The values of the viscosity at the superfluid transition temperature agree with those obtained in other measurements.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. A. Alvesalo, H. K. Collan, M. T. Loponen, O. V. Lounasmaa, and M. C. Veuro,J. Low Temp. Phys. 19, 1 (1975).Google Scholar
- 2.C. N. Archie, T. A. Alvesalo, J. D. Reppy, and R. C. Richardson,J. Low Temp. Phys. 42, 295 (1981).Google Scholar
- 3.T. A. Alvesalo, T. Haavasoja, M. T. Manninen, and A. T. Soinne,Phys. Rev. Lett. 44, 1076 (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Abramowitz and I. A. Stegun,Handbook of Mathematical Functions (Dover, New York, 1965), Chapter 9.Google Scholar
- 5.G. G. Stokes,Mathematical and Physical Papers (Cambridge University Press, London, 1901), Vol. 3, p. 38.Google Scholar
- 6.D. J. Fisk, Ph.D. Thesis, Manchester University (1972).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Højgaard Jensen, H. Smith, P. Wölfle, K. Nagai, and T. Maack Bisgaard,J. Low Temp. Phys. 41, 473 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.J. M. Parpia, Ph.D. Thesis, Cornell University (1979); J. M. Parpia, D. J. Sandiford, J. E. Berthold, and J. D. Reppy,Phys. Rev. Lett. 40, 565 (1978).Google Scholar
- 9.G. Eska, K. Neumaier, W. Schoepe, K. Uhlig, and W. Wiedemann, to be published.Google Scholar
- 10.J. C. Wheatley,Rev. Mod. Phys. 47, 415 (1975).Google Scholar
- 11.K. S. Dy and C. J. Pethick,Phys. Rev. 185, 373 (1969).Google Scholar