The elimination of supercooling in superconductors by the proximity effect: New bounds onTc for Mg, Ag, and Au
The use of the superconducting proximity effect to eliminate supercooling in a type I superconductor is reported. This effect has been demonstrated to be completely successful when applied to a tungsten specimen. It has also been employed to firmly establish new low upper bounds on the possible superconducting transition temperature of Mg, Ag, and Au.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. E. Faber,Proc. Roy. Soc. 241A, 531 (1958).Google Scholar
- 2.P. G. deGennes,Rev. Mod. Phys. 36, 225 (1964).Google Scholar
- 3.T. L. Thorp, B. B. Triplett, W. D. Brewer, M. L. Cohen, N. E. Phillips, D. A. Shirley, J. E. Tempton, R. W. Stark, and P. H. Schmidt,J. Low Temp. Phys. 3, 589 (1970).Google Scholar
- 4.R. A. Buhrman and W. P. Halperin, unpublished.Google Scholar
- 5.R. A. Buhrman, W. P. Halperin, S. W. Schwenterly, J. Reppy, R. C. Richardson, and W. W. Webb, inProc. 12th Int. Conf. Low Temp. Phys., Kyoto 1970 (Academic Press of Japan, Kyoto, 1971), p. 831.Google Scholar
- 6.R. A. Scribner, M. F. Panczyk, and E. D. Adams,J. Low Temp. Phys. 1, 313 (1969).Google Scholar
- 7.W. C. Black, R. T. Johnson, and J. C. Wheatley,J. Low Temp. Phys. 1, 641 (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.B. B. Triplett, N. E. Phillips, T. L. Thorp, D. A. Shirley, and W. D. Brewer,J. Low Temp. Phys. 12, 499 (1973).Google Scholar
- 9.W. P. Halperin, C. N. Archie, F. B. Rasmussen, and R. C. Richardson, “A Temperature Scale Derived from the Latent Heat of Melting3He,” to be published.Google Scholar
- 10.A. C. Anderson, J. I. Connally, and J. C. Wheatley,Phys. Rev. 135, A910 (1964).Google Scholar
- 11.P. B. Allen and M. L. Cohen,Phys. Rev. 187, 525 (1969).Google Scholar
- 12.A. C. Mota, P. Brewster, and R. Wang,Phys. Lett. 41A, 99 (1972).Google Scholar