Hydromagnetic stability of a gas-liquid interface of coaxial cylinders
- 33 Downloads
The magnetohydrodynamic stability of a finite hollow jet acting it up on the capilarity, inertia and electromagnetic forces has been developed. A general eigenvalue relation is derived and studied analytically and the results are confirmed numerically and interpreted physically to all possible modes of perturbations. The model is capillary unstable to small axisymmetric disturbance and stable for all other disturbances. The model is magnetodynamic stable to all possible modes of perturbations for all (short and long) wavelengths. The magnetic field exerts a strong stabilizing influence not only to axisymmetric disturbance which causes only the bending of the magnetic lines of force but also to the non-axisymmetric disturbances that also leads to twisting of lines. It is found that the capillary instability is quickly decreasing with increasing the magnetic field intensities and, moreover, above a certain value of the basic magnetic field the capillary instability is completely suppressed and stability sets in.
Numerous reported works are recovered as limiting cases from the present general work.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abramowitz, M. and Stegun, I.: 1970,Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Dover Publ., New York, p. 376Google Scholar
- Callebaut, D. K., Radwan, A. E., and Elazab, S. S.: 1986,Europ. Phys. Soc. 10D, 15.Google Scholar
- Chandrasekhar, S.: 1981,Hydrodynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability, Dover Publ., New York.Google Scholar
- Kakutani, T., Inoue, Y., and Kan, I.: 1974,J. Phys. Soc. Japan 37, 529.Google Scholar
- Kendall, J. M.: 1986,Phys. Fluids 29, 2086.Google Scholar
- Kendall, J. M., Lee, M. C., and Wang, T. G.: 1982,J. Vacuum Sci. Tech. 20, 1091.Google Scholar
- Lee, C. P. and Wang, J. G.: 1986,Phys. Fluids 29, 2076.Google Scholar
- Nayfeh, A. H.: 1970,Phys. Fluids 13, 841.Google Scholar
- Nayfeh, A. H. and Hassan, S.: 1971,J. Fluid Mech. 48, 63.Google Scholar
- Plateau, J.: 1873,Statique experimentale et théorique des liquides soumis aux seules forces moleculaires, Vols. 1 and 2, Gauthier-Villars, Paris.Google Scholar
- Radwan, A. E.: 1989,J. Phys. Soc. Japan 58, No. 4, 1225.Google Scholar
- Radwan, A. E. and Callebaut, D. K.: 1986,Proc. Belg. Phys. Soc. P.P. 21.Google Scholar
- Radwan, A. E. and Elazab, S. S.: 1987,Simon Stevin 61, 293.Google Scholar
- Rayleigh, J. W.: 1945,The Theory of Sound, Vols. 1 and 2, Dover Publ., New York.Google Scholar
- Wang, D. P.: 1968,J. Fluid Mech. 34, 299.Google Scholar