The magnetic field variation of the Ap star HR 465
- 26 Downloads
The magnetic field of HR 465 varies with a period of 23.3 yr. The number and intensity of the absorption lines show their extrema at the times of the cross-over points of the magnetic field in contrast to the phase relation of these quantities known for most short-time magnetic Ap stars. Apart from the variations produced by the binary motion no further general velocity changes were found. The radial velocity determined by lines of the neutral elements differ somewhat significantly from those of the ionized elements. The interpretation causes difficulties in all discussed models; a precession model seems to be a little more favourable than a rigid-rotator or alternating dynamo model.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Radial Velocity Phase Relation Absorption Line General Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Babcock, H. W.: 1958,Astrophys. J. Suppl. 3, 141.Google Scholar
- Brosche, P.: 1967,Ann. Astrophys. 30, 995.Google Scholar
- Cowley, C. R. and Rice, J. B.: 1981,Nature 294, 636.Google Scholar
- Faraggiana, R.: 1969,IAU Inf. Bull. Var. Stars, No. 388.Google Scholar
- Guthrie, B. N. G.: 1982,Astrophys. Space Sci. 85, 315.Google Scholar
- Krause, F. and Scholz, G.: 1981, in ‘Upper Main Sequence CP Stars’,23rd Liège Astrophys. Colloq., p. 323.Google Scholar
- Preston, G. W.: 1971,Astrophys. J. 164, 309.Google Scholar
- Preston, G. W. and Wolff, S. C.: 1970,Astrophys. J. 160, 1071.Google Scholar
- Scholz, G.: 1978,Astron. Nachr. 299, 81.Google Scholar